The 100th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Nicholas Van Orton.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Hard one! There’s plenty of tracks to pick, but one that defo got my attention was Trancesetter’s – Roaches (Peace Division Remix) Loved the groove and the vocal message “Underground will live forever baby. We’re just like Roaches, never die, always living. On that note, let’s get back to the program.”
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Didn’t keep track of my first DJ gigs but I guess it was back in 2005.
Last one was in Rosario City (Argentina) about 3 years ago. I’m not playing as a DJ since 2011, Decided to take a rest, gather some energy and try to focus on other things I wanted to do , I keep hosting my monthly radio shows in Proton Radio though, and I do play live shows with my Dub/reggae duo alongside Luciano Lima, called “Dubagroova”
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
The first I remember is AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” . I was about five years old when my brother brought it home. Last one, Calle 13’s “Multiviral” is good enough to buy it twice
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
I guess making a living of what I like to do it’s a constant highlight, being recognized by the ones I admire, the first time Hernan Cattaneo played one of my tracks back in 2002, my first local gig, my first international gig, there’s so many invaluable experiences I will really keep on my heart forever.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I don’t know if this will surprise people, but need to confess that I’m a video game addict, and I’ve lost (or earn) thousands of hours playing. I need help
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Ufff there’s so many, it would be a huge list.
The aim Balkan Connection South America label has from the start, is to discover and give the chance to young talents to expose their music as much as we can. Feel really good to see some of them really made a live of it with effort and abidance
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
I don’t really get inspired by any particular producer or musician, I just enjoy music. Inspiration comes to me from a bunch of different things, family, friends, pets, a movie, a conversation, whatever. Maybe a song I heard the day before in a train station, triggers some inspiration unconsciously, everything is connected
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Anything from The Chemical Brothers “Dig Your Own Hole” album would work for me, and defo would ask them to remix one of my tracks in return jajaja
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Balkan Connection, BC2, Massive Harmony, Mystic Carrousel, Particles, Dont, Entangled, Ape.Choons, MicroCastle, Green Snake, Classound, Movement, and a lot of etc..
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Between my favs, any compilations by Hernan Cattaneo, and Sasha/Digweed’s “Communicate”
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drug: The hardest to quit, video games
TV Show: I don’t know, not much into TV honestly, I only watch soccer
Movie: I prefer to pick directors so here it goes:
Quentin Tarantino, David Fincher, Alex de La Iglesia, Wes Anderson, Terry Gillam, Martin Scorcese, Spike Jonze.
Video Game: Skyrim V, PES 2014, Battlefield IV, Civilization V, Age Of Empires
Album: listening at this moment: Dezarie’s “The Fourth Book ”
Track / Song: Dezarie – Roots and Culture
Producer / Band: Bjork
Record Label: Balkan Connection South America
Nightclub: Not much a club guy, sorry
DJ: Hernan Cattaneo
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
I guess my latest original track or remix
Nicholas’ remix of Arilamas ‘Isosceles’ is out now on Balkan Connection South America, you can purchase the release: here