The 129th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Greg Tomaz.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
– It would be rude to pick one track, but I can blatantly state that it were the mixes by legends like John Digweed & Sasha that reaffirmed my love for electronic music.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
– My first gig was at Pebble, Bangalore(India) in 2012 were I had the honour to play alongside the amazingly talented Ad Brown. My last gig was at Ava Lounge, Kochi (India).
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
– The First ever record I bought was ‘The Low End Theory A Tribe Called Quest (1991)’ and last one was ‘Pink Floyd – The endless river (2014)’
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
– My first ever release ‘The Light EP’ on Mistique Digital takes the jackpot. An artist’s first ever release takes the cake definitely! Also I had the opportunity to be a part of this year’s ‘Frisky Loves India’ on Frisky Radio & ‘India In the mix’ on Afterhours. Some good experiences!
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I used to produce hip-hop beats for local MCs and rappers. I even formed a crew back then called ‘Southern Front’ but then moved on after realising that electronic music was my forte.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
– I can’t say that they are undiscovered but I guess artists like Aman Anand, Weird Sounding Dude, Stalvart John are some of the most hardworking, extremely talented upcoming artists from India.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
– Airwave, Kliment, Guy J, Vinayaka & Praveen Achary from India, not in any particular order. They are brilliant in what they do.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
– BT – A Million Stars (feat. Kirsty Hawkshaw) and hopefully someday would love to get remixed by Airwave.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
– Balkan Connection South America, Balkan Connection, Mistique Music, Suffused Music, Sudbeat, Bonzai Progressive are few of those labels that I constantly follow. They have a set standard and all the releases match that or go higher than the set standard. Not a single track has disappointed my ears.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
– John Digweed – Global Underground 019. Hands down!
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Anything Vegetarian
Drug: Music (can replace anything!)
TV Show: Don’t watch much TV
Movie: El topo
Video Game: Not a gamer.
Album: “Guy Mantzur & Sahar Z – Time”
Track / Song: Mike Griego- Asteroids (Andrea Cassino Remix)
Producer / Band: Mike Griego
Record Label: Sudbeat
Nightclub: Pebble, Bangalore, India
DJ: John Digweed
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– My own track from my first ever release ‘The Lunar Channel’.
‘Soul’ is out now on Balkan Connection South America, you can purchase the release: here