The name Lank has been synonymous with progressive house excellence over the last five years. The Hungarian producer has been featured on some of the finest electronic music imprints and championed by the world’s top DJs. His monthly ‘Bounce Back’ podcast has been one of Proton Radio‘s most popular shows over the course of its 4 year existence and a busy gig schedule continues to delight clubbers each week. Lank’s been busy in the studio of late with his brand new label Bounce Back Music imprint releasing his ‘The Radical’ EP last week and this week his remix of Hugo Ibarra & Uvo ‘Fragments’ getting it’s release on Movement Recordings this week. For reviews of both please check our Essential Purchases sections and please enjoy our 12 Questions segment with him below.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Lank: It would be pretty hard to remember which track was exactly the one.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Lank: My first gig was in eight-grade, and the last one was last saturday.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Lank: The first record was Mike Oldfield’s ‘The Songs Of Distant Earth’ and the latest was Depeche Mode’s ‘Songs Of Faith And Devotion / Live’ a few years ago. I buy music in digital format lately.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Lank: Releasing my first album in 2009 and seeing ‘Confrontation’ in Top Gear Series were both fantastic feeling. I would also highlight my Latin-American mini-tour in 2012.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Lank: Perhaps you will find interesting facts below.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Lank: Dimitri Veimar, Jokers Of The Scene, Lake People, John D. Walkman
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Lank: Simian Mobile Disco, Lindstrom, John Tejada, James Holden, Minilogue, Jon Hopkins. Each day a different producer, person, band, mix or record label..
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Lank: I would love to remix M83 or Trentemoller, and a remix swap from Trentemoller would be really cool!
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Lank: I agree with that, and i try to focus on those labels who represent a truly original quality. !K7, Kompakt, Border Community, Mute, InFiné, Beachcoma, Running Back.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Lank: The Chemical Brothers – Brothers Gonna Work It Out
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
TV Show: I rarely watch TV
Movie: The Master
Video Game: I don’t have a game console
Album: John Graham – Cold Sun
Track / Song: Dimitri Veimar – Somo’s tales (Jokers Of The Scene Remix)
Producer / Band: Depeche Mode
Record Label: Kompakt
Nightclub: It depends on the sound system and the party
DJ: Patrice Baumel
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Lank: Judy Cheeks – Reach (Quivver’s Vocal Remix)
Lank’s remix of Hugo Ibarra & Uvo ‘Fragments’ is out now on Movement Recordings and his ‘The Radical’ EP is out now on Bounce Back Music, you can purchase those releases: here