The 77th episode of our 12 Questions segment features Dutch producer Mohn (NL).
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
I think that would be Cygnus X – Superstring (Rank 1 Remix). The very first anthem of Sensation and the best trance track ever made if you ask me. When I heard that track for the very first time I was getting goosebumps all over the place. Just amazing and bought the single immediately when it came out!
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
My first gig was when I was 16, playing hardstyle somewhere in a local club in Holland. After a few years I was bored, so I decided to switch over to the more progressive and techno sounds. My last gig was at little Dutch festival called Sungrooves this august.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
My very first record was the previously mentioned single of Cygnus X. The last online purchase was the new track of Italian hero Sasha Carassi , called Tale of Memories. I new Sasha because of his more rougher technotunes, but with this one he shows a different side from himself that is much better if you ask meJ.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
I think that are two things. The first was my debut on Hernan Cattaneo’s Sudbeat records this year. Second was my gig at Loveland Festival a month ago. After Awakenings this is the biggest techno/underground festival of Amsterdam. I shared the stage with guys like Kollektiv Turmstrasse, Guy Mantzur, Arjuna Schiks and Boris Brejcha. Both things where just great, but now I’m thinking, another big thing is coming up, haha:)
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Besides DJing and making music as a producer, I’m also working as a PE teacher. So actually I’m combining the best two things in life; music & sports.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Pff, that’s a good one… I’m a huge fan of Reinier Zonneveld, but I don’t know if you can see him as undiscovered Furthermore, dutchies like JSPR, Daniel Spanjaard and Vincent Leeijen have high potential if you ask me.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
That would definitely be Eelke Kleijn! But at the moment I also love to listen to producers like Nicolas Masseyeff, Eagles & Butterflies, John Tejada & Kastis Tarrau. Eelke stands out for me, because of his multitalented and variety of productions, all very high levelled.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I would be honoured If I get an opportunity to remix from artists like John Digweed, Nick Warren or Hernan Cattaneo, because they are absolutely on top for me. For my own track to be remixed I definitely would ask Eelke, just because of the quality of all his other tracks.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
I think there’s no one that stands really out for me these days. My tracklists refer to so many different labels and also my latest online purchases contains none tracks of the same label. But I have to say that Paul Hazendonks varied Manual Music and Selador both doing a great job for me lately.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Definitely Sudbeats 2;), mixed by Pole Folder.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drink: No day without coffee
Drug: I pass
Animal: Cat & Dog
TV Show: Fox Sports
Movie: Black Hawk Down
Video Game: Fifa & COD
Album: Coldplay – Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
Track / Song: Life in Technicolor II
Producer / Band: Eelke Kleijn, Nicolas Masseyeff / Coldplay
Record Label: Selador
Nightclub: Paradiso Amsterdam
DJ: there are many good dj’s around
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Moderat – Bad Kingdom (DJ Koze Remix), best track of the moment!
Mohn (NL)’s remix of Han Haak ‘Slaves In Transit’ is out now on Sound Avenue, you can purchase the release: here