The 85th episode of our 12 Questions segment features the production duo Qoob.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Kirill: Nathan Fake – The Sky Was Pink (James Holden Remix)
Eugene: Freeform 5 – Electromagnetic (Tiefschwarz Remix)
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Kirill: My first DJ gig was in 1998. It was first true underground techno club in Saint Petersburg called Tunnel. And last was last week in my native city.
Eugene: Sorry, i’m not a DJ. But when i was 5 years old, i scratched mother’s vinyl of russian retro-superstar Sophia Rotaru ‘Bylo, no proshlo’ for my buddies. If that counts, then it was my first gig.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Kirill: My first vinyl was Marusha – RaveChannel and last one is Radiohead – Best (4 LP Limited edition)
Eugene: Tiësto – Nyana and 4H Community – Tribal Coma (Brutal Dub Mix)
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Both: Actually it is not a career yet, it’s just a beginning of the story, and we just look around
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Kirill: Well, it hard to surprise people nowadays, I have 1st dan of Kyokushin Karate and master degree in physics, I am very fond of aviation.
Eugene: By the way, I also graduated from the Physics Department. And I understand that the law of conservation of energy has played a cruel joke with me: perhaps I have good ears, but I’m colorblind. LOL.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Kirill: So what is a talent? Real talent should not be undiscovered. Every day I see many street musicians and they are all more talented than qoob or many others on our scene. They all undiscovered but they work hard on it. And too much “BIG” names that makes real shitty music, so it’s very hard question.
Eugene: I think that everyone gets what they deserve. For now I’ll just leave here a couple of names: Hells Kitchen, AANBREKEN.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Kirill: Schiller, Infusion, Pink Floyd, James Holden, Ulrich Schnauss.
Eugene: Stumbleine, James Blake, Jon Hopkins, Maceo Plex, Moonbeam
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Kirill: I would love to make a remix on Radiohead – Fade Out, and prefer remixed by Max Cooper
Eugene: Motorcycle – As The Rush Comes, and Sasha please.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Kirill: I am dreaming about Sudbeat, microCastle, Lost & Found, Bedrock, Hope, Ovum, Cocoon. I am happy about our releases on Lowbit, Suffused Music, Lost Language, Black Hole, Stereo Paradise, Stripped, Asymmetric and other labels at the moment.
Eugene: Dirtybird, No.19 Music, Ellum Audio, Sincopat
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Kirill: James Holden – Balance 005
Eugene: Paul Oakenfold – Creamfields
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Kirill: All Japanese
Eugene: Uzbek and Italian
Eugene: Cold green tea with mint, Vodka
Kirill: My two little dogs
Eugene: Black cat
Kirill: I haven’t TV set and I Hate television in its present condition
Eugene: Family Guy
Kirill: Star Wars
Kirill: Lock On, DCS, MFS
Eugene: Diablo 2, TES V: Skyrim, Minecraft, Second Life
Kirill: KINO – Night
Eugene: NAADYA – Sto Dney
Track / Song:
Kirill: Pink Floyd – Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Eugene: Róisín Murphy – In Sintesi (Psychemagik Remix)
Producer / Band:
Kirill: Eugen Doga, Schiller
Eugene: HVOB, Caribou
Kirill: Border Community
Eugene: Get Physical
Kirill: Space Ibiza
Eugene: Dom Pechati
Kirill: Sven Vath
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Kirill: It depends only on a situation on the dance floor but I would prefer the Prodigy – Breathe
Eugene: Leama – Requiem For A Dream (Andre Sobota Remix)
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas.
Qoob’s remix of Lautaro Varela ‘Via Lactea’ is out now on Magic Room, you can purchase the release: here