This is a new weekly section starting in our newsletter called ’12 Questions’ which would be best described as a mini-interview but with nothing specific being covered; just quick, fun facts about some of your favourite producers. The first ’12 Questions’ segment is from Dutch producer Namatjira as his new single is out this week on Asymmetric Recordings.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Namatjira: Enigma – Sadeness Part 1 (’90)
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Namatjira: I’m not a DJ, although I’m working on that…
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Namatjira: Jaydee – Plastic Dreams (The Remixes) (RS 93003) and
Twice As Nice – Overture (Guy J Remix) (LF011D)
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Namatjira: Seeing footage of a crowd going mad at Creamfields Perú on a remix I did of the classic ‘Strawberry Fields’ played by Hernán Cattáneo & Nick Warren.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Namatjira: I’m working as a social worker with people with psychiatric problems and intellectual disabilities.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Namatjira: Two young up and coming Dutch artists that you have to keep your eye on are Paul Sebastiaan Deetman and Jelle Anton Jansen aka Huminal, check out what they did with ‘Braids’ by Max Cooper
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Namatjira: I try to listen to podcasts/Live sets of Nick Warren, Eelke Kleijn, Hernán Cattáneo’s, Guy J, and more, to get inspired, but inspiration can come from everything.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Namatjira: Sounds a bit cliché, but hopefully I can remix one of the majors like, Hernán Cattáneo, Nick Warren, Guy J, Sasha… =) Lately I’m digging a lot what happens in Tel Aviv; Chicolla, Khen, Lonya, Guy J, Guy Mantzur,
Sahar Z. and more. It’s one big family, that lives for one thing…. Luckily Khen and Chicola collaborated already! =)
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Namatjira: I have my focus on a few favourite labels, I always check those for new releases first, but you always can get surprised by labels you don’t have an eye on… Gorje Hewek & Izhevski – Morning Bells (HWR42018) or Petrichor – Some Bara (SOMA383D)
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Namatjira: My favourite one is Global Underground 009: San Francisco, mixed by Sasha, as it’s just put together so well and still sounds class!
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drink: Red Bull
TV Show: The Blacklist
Movie: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest
Video Game: – N/A
Album: Re-bought Airdrawndagger a few month’s ago, classic!!
Track / Song: Guy J – Dizzy Moments
Producer / Band: To hard to choose one…
Record Label: Sudbeat, Lowbit, L&F, Soundavenue, Perspectives
Nightclub: I like the intimate venue’s like Studio 80 and Club NL
DJ: Hernán Cattáneo, the 21st of Sept. 2007 I realized I definitely wanted to
produce the kind of music he played! (Firma Gezellig,Maassilo
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Namatjira: Petter – These Days (D-011)
Namatjira & Mz Sunday Luv ‘Painters Dream Time’ is out now on Asymmetric Recordings, you can purchase the release: here