The 112th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Nick Stoynoff.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Tilt – Rendezvous was the first track that struck a major chord, but I think the entire Global Underground series was largely responsible for me diving in headfirst.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
I was 13 at the time and had begun collecting vinyl with the itch to play out. Oddly enough an internet cafe that specialized in network styled gaming offered me a 6 hour timeslot to spin proper trance vinyl….a bit weird considering the room was just a bunch kids playing Counter Strike and I providing the euphoric trance music in the background haha.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Salt Tank – Eugina 2000
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Most likely my opening gig from this past July when I opened for Nick Warren and Hernan Cattaneo at Soundbar, Chicago. I spent about a month writing all original and currently unreleased material as well as performing it as my first live set specifically for that night.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I used to play Golf competitively
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
I think just about every REAL band that I have gone to see in Chicago deserves a genuine spotlight ..but to name a few: Kye Kye, MNEK, Odesza, Andrey Pushkarev, DJ Phono, and tons of others…also there is this relatively unknown singer/songwriter from Minneapolis , I think his name is Prince..not sure though.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Royksopp, Zero 7, Phil Ramone, Jeff Lynne, Omid 16b, Henry Saiz, Aril Brikha, Aphex Twin, Guy Gerber, Tangerine Dream, and many others.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I would love to take a try at a Henry Saiz tune…its no secret that I am a huge fan of his and incidentally I would love to have him remix a tune of mine…maybe one off the album if I ever finish it!
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Warp Records, Ninja Tune, Ghostly, Natura Sonoris, microCastle, Sex On Wax, Alola, and Proton just to name a few. I am actually a big fan of VCO Recordings, a noise/experimental/synth cassette based label.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like
Food: Korean BBQ
Drink: Red Wine.
Drug: DON’T SMOKE DRUGS?
TV Show: Twin Peaks
Movie: 2001: A Space Odyssey
Video Game: Goldeneye …no one needs more than 64 bits for proper gaming.
Album: Zero 7 – When It Falls and I have to give Ulrich Schnauss’s Goodbye equal respect.
Track / Song: Royksopp – Thank You
Producer / Band: Royksopp
Record Label: Warp
Nightclub: Spybar or Primary Nightclub, both Chicago based.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
‘Berlin Dream’ is out now on Stellar Fountain, you can purchase the release: here