The 116th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Santiago Teillagorry.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
–If I had to define a song was the remix of Deadmau5’s track of Café del Mar – Energy 52. Although I could name many more, but that was one of the most important.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
– My first dj gig it was “The Boss”, a nightclub in my city. And my last dj gig it was “Quinoto Club”, a nightclub in Villa Nueva, Córdoba, Argentina (nearby town of Villa Maria). I was born in Rio Cuarto, Cordoba, Argentina. At 12 years I started to play music in Weddings and other private events. But at 16 years old I started with electronic music and these dates have been my relationship with this music.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
– My first CD I bought was “The Essentials” of an Argentinean pianist Raul Di Blasio, to whom I admire very much. And the last was a vinyl from record label Get Slow (Deep Mariano). The EP from Adi Dumitra & Toygun – We Made a Record. Usually I buy more digital music on Beatport & other buying music via internet.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
– My career in electronic music is short, only 4 years. But one of the most important points was to be released on the label of Nick Warren (Hope), remixing his track Buenos Aires with my friend Luis Bondio. The record labels Liquid Grooves, 3rd Avenue, Classounds and Dopamine, which released recently an EP with two original tracks and helped me a lot to the diffuse and I’m grateful for that.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– Actually I am a very normal person, I consider myself humble, I like helping people. I consider myself very open musically, I’m not closed. I like to eat, sleep, I hate sports i am very useless haha, when you play football, nobody chooses me (best for me, I hate play football). I am very shy with women, I hope someday that problem is solved hahaha. I have to learn to speak and write English, I do not know much. And nothing else, my life is very normal. I am a musician, I play the piano since age 6, currently studying Lic. In Musical Composition and Orquestation in the University .I play in piano Jazz, Tango, Folklore, Bossa Nova, Cumbia (a genre of my country), Cuarteto (an other genre in my country), Rock, etc.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
– In Argentina there are already some who are making music and are known in the local scene. I know people like Cristian Tate, Ignacio “Nacho” Varela who are making music and are not as recognized as they should be. Argentina has great djs, It is very difficult to show music in Argentina, monopolies give no opportunity to the new people. No values both Art. This is a big problem and hope it is resolved and the big monopolies help us to show our music.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
– Producers who can inspire me: Paul Oakenfold, Moby, Sasha, Guy J, Mooryc, Maceo Plex, Henry Saiz, Martin Garcia, and others. Actually I hear a lot of film music of musicians like Harry Gregson Williams, Hans Zimmer, Vangelis, Giorgio Moroder, Gustavo Santaoalla, Chancha Via Circuito, etc and lots of music from the 80s and 90s. My father has many music cassettes so have a very strong influence on me.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? And who would you love to be remixed by?
– My dream would have the opportunity to remix the song Xpander , of the british dj/producer Sasha. Bring to music performed by a live piano concert fused with electronic music. I would like to give me the opportunity Hernan Cattaneo & Soundexile that remix one of my songs or create a new project together.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
– The music is constantly growing. The truth is that I find it hard to find music I like today, it has become difficult to find because of big mergers that have taken in recent years and the entry of new genres. It’s one of the reasons why I decided to play my own music and of friends. But there are record labels that are walking well, as are Lost & Found, Sudbeat, Bedrock, Kompakt, Pampa, Balkan Connection and others.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
– There are many mix that I like, but if I have to choose one, choose the CD 2 Danny Howells – Renaissance – The Mix Collection, is great.
11. Current Favourites
Food:Pizza, asado, choripan, rabas (fish). I like everything except the exotic foods, for example, octopus, crabs, disgust me.
Drink:Fernet, vino with Coca Cola, daikiri, champagne.
TV Show:I do not watch TV shows.
Movie:Leon The Professional, Scarface, Above the Law (Nico), Terminator I, II (the rest i do not like), and Dumb and Dumber 😀
Video Game:Counter Strike 1.6, Splinter Cell.
Album:A Night at the Opera (Queen).
Track / Song:Coldplay – Paradise.
Producer / Band:Modern Talking, Abba, Porcupinetree, Soda Stereo I have a diverse taste in music, I find it hard to pigeonhole into one or a few bands haha 🙂 I love international music and music of my country.
Nightclub:Noventa, Casa de Piedra.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– Surely some of my songs or remix, it could be my remix of Seal – Crazy soon will put on free download to the public.
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas.
‘Noventa’ is out now on Dopamine Music, you can purchase the release: here