The 122nd episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Kieran J.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
My first introduction to electronic music was the prodigy’s ‘experience’ album and I was totally drawn in.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
My first was about 10 years ago in a small upstairs club in my home town of Killarney, it’s quite an exciting thing playing on a big system for the first time. My last gig was last weekend, my friend DJ X-Moon and I have a residency in the Ross Bar in Killarney where we play mostly lounge, funk and deep house. We also have our own club night ‘Electric Circus’ where we play with other local talent.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
‘Odessi – Moments of Space’ on Baroque Records was my first and it still sounds great today.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Getting on Hernan Cattaneo’s latest renaissance compilation was a big one for me, thanks to Santiago Garcia’s excellent remix of my track ‘Symbiosis’ and the label work of Mark B from 99% recordings. But I think the ‘Wave Therapy’ EP is my most accomplished work to date.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I don’t come from a musical family but a passionate sporting one, my father is a well-known sports commentator.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
A few recent arrivals that have got my attention recently would be Alex Preda, Acidoakes and Frank Maris.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Nicolas Jaar, James Blake, David August, Alex Niggemann, Sasha, Pig & Dan, Maceo Plex.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I would like to remix Nicolas Jaar and be remixed by Alex Niggemann.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Yes the online music stores are selling everything and anything. Labels I am loving at the moment are Innervisions, 2020 vision, 8bit, Drumcode, Sound Avenue, Ghostly International, Kompakt.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
John Digweed: GU 019 Los Angeles is a favourite of mine.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
TV Show: Breaking Bad
Video Game: Don’t play
Album: Orbital – In Sides
Track / Song: Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
Producer / Band: Hans Zimmer
Record Label: Kompakt
DJ: John Digweed, Dixon, Hernan Cattaneo, Roberto Rodriguez, Ben Watt
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Pachanga Boys – Time
‘Wave Therapy’ is out now on Sound Avenue, you can purchase the release: here