The 125th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Frank Maris.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
I started loving EDM as a total trance-head (when it was actually listenable!), so that would be a M.I.K.E. tune. I remember being totally in love with one of his more unknown tracks under his ”Return of the Native” alias called Morphosis. Such a deep, dark trip!
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
I believe my fist gig was at a student party for the University of Amsterdam. My last one was GENAU GENAU at Barkode.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
My first vinyl will always be very special for me, it was Slam – Azure, I still love the track a lot! Last week I discovered Surface Records, so I bought 6 records from them which are all super good. Hard to pick a favorite, but Phase – Just another Dance, or the Between worlds EP from Nick Dunton are immensely good.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
My best gig was in the Sugar Factory, playing ’Mary go Wild’ and see the place go mental was nice. But I love the producing more then DJ’ing. So seeing some good Feedback from Anthony Pappa and Jimmy von M at my latest Storytellers EP on Crossfade Sounds, was for me a highlight.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I am working as a Union organizer, meaning that I organize factory workers to unite and fight the status quo collectively. I am made for that job, I help people to help themselves. Something that is much needed in the individualized Iworld.
Besides that I have a long history of practicing Martial Arts. Tae-Kwondo, Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Sistema, and Krav Maga
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
There are so many talents who deserve much more, for example there are so many pearls coming at AXON records. Those guys deserve a lot more spotlight!
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Scotty .A, Trevino, Minilogue, Patrice Baumel, Silinder, youANDme, 04LM, Aril Brikha, Rich Oddie, Donato Dozzy and many more!
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I would love to remix something different like Answer Code Request.
If Kaito would remix a track of mine, that would make me the happiest boy alive
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
As mentioned before, AXON, Sound Avenue, Surface Records. But I like almost every release of Ostgut Ton and Kompakt can really be a pearl factory.
Also, for non EDM music, I think the LateNightTales is an amazing label.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
impossible to choose one, but Danny Howells Renaissance is one I really liked also GU: 13 Sasha
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Boca’s a resaurant in Amsterdam
Drink: a cup of coffee in the morning
Drug: Legalize & regulate it!
Animal: I wish we cared more about them
TV Show: Game of Thrones
Movie: Pi – by. Derren Aronofsky
Video Game: Mario Kart
Album: Selected Ambient Works – Aphex Twin
Track / Song: The Orb – Blue Room
Producer / Band: The Prodigy
Record Label: Ostgut Ton
Nightclub: Trouw Amsterdam
DJ: Patrice Baumel
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Not really a club track, but Closer Musik – One, Two, Tree would fit well
‘Storytellers’ is out now on Crossfade Sounds, you can purchase the release: here