The 130th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Dartek.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
I’d have to pick Josh Wink – Higher State of Consciousness. I remember being in my teens around ’95/‘96 when I first heard it on the radio. The time stretched voice and the crazy 303, man that was heaven. To this date it still give me the chills.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
My first big dj gig with my name on the flyer was around 2003, sharing the boot with Big Head and Darío Arcas in an amazing party. I opened for them and played my half vinyl – half CDs set, It was a good night.
My last gig was about a month ago in Luján city with my friends Julio Largente and Leonardo Tou for ourselves haha. It was raining like crazy and the city was sieged so nobody showed up that night, we were just the djs and bartenders and their respective girlfriends. We got drunk anyway and took some selfies with a Steve Aoky look alike sculpture that was around.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
The first record I’ve ever purchased is Depeche Mode – Music For The Masses. The last one Clark – Clark.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Back in 2002 when we were Plass with Fefo, we signed up with a British label for our first single which was released in 12’ vinyl. To put things in context we were kids living in a small town in the south of Argentina, we made music with very little resources, internet was incredibly shitty back then yet we still managed to do it. It sold several hundreds of copies, I bought my first set of monitors with that money! Aw, the good old times…
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I’m a classically trained musician, I went to music school and film school to become a movie composer, I’ve been doing that for more than a decade now. I love to hear music for the first time, I’m constantly searching for the new. I also love classical music, physics, science fiction and video games.
Every once in a while I give myself to the green fairy.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Oosfera is an artist from my home town and he has just released his first solo album for Opendecks Records. It really worth the spin. Very talented guy.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Plaid, Clark, Autechre.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I’d love to remix Lindström, I’d love to be remixed by Mr Charlie May.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Not just labels but electronic dance music in general is a dime a dozen these days. Traum, Microcastle, Kompakt (among others) they manage to keep it up. I don’t look for any particular label or artist though, I go straight to the sea of tracks to see what’s new. It takes more time but at the end of the day you’ll end up with that handful of tracks that’ll make you stand out form the rest.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Sasha Involver, the first one only. To this date I still can’t fully reverse-engineer it. It’s just out of this world, so pure and classy. It can’t get any better than that.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: asado (Argentinean barbecue)
TV Show: Cosmos
Movie: Alien (1979)
Video Game: Mass Effect Trilogy
Album: Autechre – Exai
Track / Song: Nuclear Ramjet – Deep Blue (Tune Up Remix) but 10 bpm down.
Producer / Band: Extrawelt
Record Label: Traum
Nightclub: Shamrock basement in Buenos Aires
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
I’d definitely write something special for the occasion.
‘Offshore’ is out now on Opendecks Records, you can purchase the release: here