The 140th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Audioglider.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
– It would have to be The Model by Kraftwerk – I remember hearing Autobahn when it first came out and loved it, but the glow in the dark 12 inch vinyl of The Model sealed the deal.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
– First gig – I played a warehouse party in East Berlin in the mid 90s – I hadn’t played on 1210s before and got a crash course at Zoom Records in Camden beforehand.
Last gig: I haven’t played out for quite a few years since I got into production, but I wouldn’t say I’ve played my last gig! Never say never 😉
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
– First records – Pretty Vacant by Sex Pistols, and Five Minutes by The Stranglers – out of a Woolworths Bargain Bin
Last Record – Kiasmos bu Kiasmos
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
– I’d have to say that my career has been a long slow burn, but there are definitely highlights. Getting two tracks on Nick Warren’s seminal GU30 Paris compilation was amazing, finally releasing my own artist album, Accidental Beauty, this year was brilliant – a culmination of years of work. Oh, and finding my groove with a string of releases and remixes this year…..
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I was a drummer in a French garage punk band called Psychocandy, while I was student in France.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
– Chasing Dreams, Data Rebel, XSPANCE, Stray Theories, Mombi
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
– Nils Frahm, Ulrich Schnauss, Chasing Dreams, Tripswitch, Sasha, Guy J, Echaskech, Hammock, BoC, Thievery Corporation…….constantly revisiting and finding something new…..
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? And who would you love to be remixed by?
– I would have loved to have had the chance to remix The Cocteau Twins, but sadly that ship has sailed! I’d love to be considered if Sasha ever does another Involver, as well as Com Truise, Tycho, Guy J
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
– Ghostly, n5md, Last Night On Earth, Full Pupp, Norman H’s Stripped labels, ASIP, Section Records, Warp, Kompakt – there are far too many to mention –
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
– Is it too obvious to say the first Involver? Proper game changer that.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Pulled Pork, Brioche Bun, Coleslaw, nom nom…..
Drink: Gin & Tonic, Red Wine, Prosecco, Coffee
Drug: Nurofen (the morning after Gin & Tonic, Red Wine, Prosecco, Coffee)
Animal: All felines, but especially Tigers
TV Show: Six Feet Under, The Fall, Black Mirror, Modern Family – also big fan of Nordic Noir
Video Game: I must be a weirdo, but I don’t play them. Music all the way for me……
Album: Kiasmos – Kiasmos
Track / Song: Disappear with Me by XSPANCE
Producer / Band: Kiasmos
Record Label: Kompakt
DJ: Guy J
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– Papua New Guinea – Future Sound of London. Probably the first track that brought all the influences I’d had up until that point, dub, ambient, breaks, ethereal vocals, electro and made it sound effortless and natural – never forced. Still sounds huge today!
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas