The 141st episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Steve May.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
– Xpander by Sasha or Heaven Scent by Bedrock
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
– I played in a couple of DJ competitions in 1999/2000 but I guess the first actual Gig would have been maybe in January 2002 at Suede Bar at a night called Peach. That may have been a first booked gig! I even remember getting paid and thinking how awesome that was!
Last gig I was supporting Oliver Lieb last year.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
– First record purchase is a bit blurry, as I didn’t really know where to buy mad records in Melbourne early on. I know I bought Reactivate 14 from HMV in 1999/2000 because it had a lots of cool tracks included on the vinyl release which was imperative to learn to mix. I know Mad Dogs – better make room on silver planet was early on too.
The last vinyl album I purchased was Unorthodox Jukebox by Bruno Mars
The last digital track I bought was Michael Cassette – Disco Frisco
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
– I remember seeing myself on a 2 story Billboard in China at o2 club in Shanghai promoting my gig. That was awesome. Playing a gig to a rocking, up for it crowd in Victoria BC Canada. As a producer, my first release being licensed to Hernan’s Renaissance CD, then having my records supported by every DJ I looked up to was a huge thing for me.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I work full time in the residential lending team at a Bank! I also used to be a full time ski instructor.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
– I’m not sure! So much music comes out these days and gets lost. Young/new producers only focus on trying to get records out, anywhere, rather than making something magic and getting it to a selected label for release.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
– Eric Prydz, cirez d, pryda 😉 Michael Cassette, Luke Chable, Quivver, Deadmau5, Dr Luke, Guy J, Shiloh
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? And who would you love to be remixed by?
– I’d love to get my hands on some Prydz logic files… I’d love to have something of mine remixed by Sasha or Prydz just to see what would come about! I have the Blend Forty-3 stems on my computer Sasha!
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
– Zerothree, Pryda (the whole camp)
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
– GU13 Ibiza by Sasha
11. Current Favourites
Food: Pizza, American BBQ, Burgers
Drink: Pale Ale’s
Animal: Dogs! (My fluff bucket Pippa the Cavoodle)
TV Show: Mega factories!
Movie: Interstella, Star Wars
Video Game: Racing and rally games
Album: Jon Hopkins – Immunity
Track / Song: Eric Prydz – Liberate
Producer / Band: Bruno Mars, Eric Prydz, Ed Sheeran, Kygo, dr luke
Record Label: to many out there!
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– I’d make sure to have something epic that I had just finished for the gig. It would be special!
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas