The 147th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Brian Cid.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
–Octave One feat. Ann Saunderson – Black Water (Original) opened the doors to a new world to me. I never heard a bass line like that before.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
– My first gig was at an old empty firehouse in Manhattan, surreal. I have many cool shows coming up including Verboten, Art Basel in Miami and Cielo.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
– First record purchased was the Metallica – ‘Load’ Album on cassette. These days I buy music nearly every day. I just bought ‘Matrixman – The Spell’ for my show with Murk at Cielo tonight.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
– I did not expect my release on Lost & Found was going to cause such an impact. Things continue to develop so everyday there are new highlights.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I started my production career working on many other genres before settling on electronic music a bit over 3 years ago. From reggae, dancehall, hip hop, latin, you name it. I’m also very active in the underground hip hop scene as a mixing/mastering engineer.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
– Check out Simon Vuarambon, Juan Deminicis are both real good young up and coming talents.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
– D-Nox & Beckers are always on point. Alex Niggemann has been a good inspiration with some of his latest work. Chus & Ceballos were a big inspiration early in my career as well as Hot Since 82.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? And who would you love to be remixed by?
– Remix legends like Digweed, Sasha and be remixed by cool acts like Maceo Plex, Tale of Us.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
– The ones with quality music always win, no matter how big they are. Poker Flat, Lost & Found, Ovum, Visionquest
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
– I’ll give you 2 of my favorites: Balance 023 mixed by Radio Slave and Underground Sound of Ibiza from Bedrock was def one to remember.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drink: Cuba Libre
TV Show: House of Cards
Movie: Pulp Fiction
Video Game: Age of Empire
Album: E.M.S – A.O.D Vol 1
Track / Song: Lake People – Brooklyn
Producer / Band: Satoshi Tomiie
Record Label: microCastle
Nightclub: Cielo, NYC
DJ: John Tejada
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– Worakls – Souvenir (Original Mix)
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas