The 15th episode of 12 Questions features well known DJ / Producer Yuriy Kolomiytsev aka Yuriy From Russia. The Russian artist has been one of this year’s most prolific and also most consistent producers. Yuriy’s already amassed over 120 releases in 2014 and somehow manages to maintain a great level of quality in his productions.This week sees the release of Yuriy From Russia‘s remix of Napalm & d-phrag ‘Substance’ on Balkan Connection. Please check our Essential Purchases section for a review and please enjoy our 12 Questions segment with Yuriy below.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Yuriy From Russia: I was truly amazed when I firstly saw an old J.M. Jarre video with penguins running somewhere in Arctic 🙂 I don’t think it was an Oxygen but who knows.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Yuriy From Russia: The first one was somewhere back in 2002-2003. But it was more like a live gig with my old partners Alexey Samotarev and Evgeniy Litovchenko under Python name. We had all these synths, drum machines, cubase (or yes, no Ableton these days) and even a violin player. It happened in a really underground place and I still have a video from this gig somewhere on my HDD. It’s hard for me to recall the last one though. It was probably in a small club for less than 100 people and more like a dj set. I’m mostly focused on a studio work nowadays so no gigs for a while.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Yuriy From Russia: I can’t remember the 12” releases which we got. Probably something from Climax or Baroque or even Hooj Choons. Something fundamental you know 🙂 I’m not buying music a lot of music nowadays, I’m getting too much promos to be listened to.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Yuriy From Russia: I’m going to release a prog breaks/electronica label with my friends this year. As well as I’m going to work my own album. I want to make something really interesting, not just 10 prog house tunes, you know. Besides this, I’m really happy how are the things going right now.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Yuriy From Russia: I have a Bachelor Degree in Computer Science 🙂 I love to cook and I’m into sport nowadays. Not sure if it surprising 🙂
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Yuriy From Russia: If we are talking about progressive house, there are so many amazing producers!
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Yuriy From Russia: I’m trying not to listen to a lot of music these days. I prefer listening old stuff from Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Sasha, FatBoy Slim and etc. Old classic if you wish are always inspiring me.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Yuriy From Russia: Depeche Mode probably. Every track from them is a great material for remixing. Remixed by? There is question not about the name but about the quality. If it’s a quality remix, I don’t care about the name to be honest 🙂
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Yuriy From Russia: I’m somewhere in the golden middle.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Yuriy From Russia: In old days, I was a big fan of GU and Bedrock Breaks compilations. I still have GU 021 Moscow mixed by Deep Dish which we bought together with Yura Popov 🙂 Probably this one still inspires me.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Pizza and burgers 🙂
Drink: Beer and tea.
Drug: No drugs 🙂
Animal: I don’t have any animals but I simply love cats.
TV Show: Breaking Bad
Movie: Green Mile, Back to Future, Shawshank Redemption
Video Game: oh… so many!!! Dragon Age, Baldur’s Gates, Never Winter Nights, GTA, Half Life, Diablo… the list is endless 🙂
Album: Sasha – Airdrawndagger
Track / Song: Hybrid – If I survive
Producer / Band: Prodigy
Record Label: Renaissance
Nightclub: Can’t choose my fav here 🙂
DJ: Hernan Cattaneo, John Digweed, Sasha
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Yuriy From Russia: Orbital – Halcyon On & On
Yuriy’s remix of Naplam & d-phrag ‘Substance’ is out now on Balkan Connection, you can purchase those releases: here