The 157th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Groven.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
For this, we have to go back in time a bit, to 1998 for Humate – 3.2 (Bedrock Ambient Mix), still gives me boosebumps when I’m listen to it.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Hmm, my first DJ gig it was in 2002 and the last one, in 2012, a b-day party for a good friend of mine, also a dj (Zizou), both gigs in Bucharest.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
My first record was a cassette tape mix from DJ Robert Miles – In The Mix (1997) and the last one was Deepfunk’s album, Imagination Creates Reality,
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
I might say that was the DJ gig along side Henry Saiz, in 2011 and for my producing career, I don’t want to be considered modest, but none.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I used to be a rocker and I produced a techno album in 1999, 14 tracks.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
My co-national girl, Sea, MNR, Naz and Simos Tagias.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
I’m a old fashion guy, inspired by great producers like James Holden, Charlie May, Sasha and also the new master, Guy J.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I would like to remix Guy J and vice versa 🙂 you’ll never know.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
I think that Symmetric, Oscar Holgado’s new label will have a good impact in the future. Other labels are microCastle, Lost & Found and System Recordings.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Nothing but Northern Exposure series.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Kiasmos – Burnt
Food: Lebanese and vegetarian food
Drink: red wine and lemonade
Drug: Music and sometimes one little p&t 🙂
TV Show: The Walking Dead
Movie: The Sphere
Video Game: Elder Scrolls
Album: Light Grenades
Track / Song: Adolescents
Producer / Band: Incubus
Record Label: Bedrock
Nightclub: Club Martin – Bucharest
DJ: Guy J
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Sasha – Belfunk, with an outro edit made by me.
‘Low’ is out now on 3rd Avenue, you can purchase the release: here