The 196th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Tommi Oskari.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
– One of the first house tunes I really loved was “Thrill Me” by Junior Jack. I think the whole funky filter house era had a great impact on my own sound.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
– The first time I “played” for an audience was at my younger brother’s elementary school disco – the year was maybe 2003 (?) – I used Winamp and some kind of crossfading plugin and played proper top 40 hits for a couple of hours and had a great time. The last one was a deep house gig in a nice little lounge bar here in my new home town Turku.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
– The first vinyls I bought were “Woz Not Woz” by Eric Prydz & Steve Angello and “Another Chance” by Roger Sanchez, which is still one of my favourite tracks of all time. I think the last thing I bought from Beatport was the excellent Brian Cid EP on Lost&Found.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
– Probably getting a chance to do a remix for Cid Inc’s Replug Records in early 2013. That was pretty much my first leap into the prog-tech scene, Replug being a very well known label in the business. The constant support from Henri himself is a big thing for me of course, and I don’t think I’d have half the connections and friends in the scene I have now if it wasn’t for that kind of leverage.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– About 10 years ago, when I started making music I only used samples and made hip hop beats and other mid-tempo instrumental weirdness just for fun. The first time I tried to make four-by-four dance music was probably around 2007, and it was terrible. I don’t have any musical education so the whole process has taken a bit longer than it should have.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
– The underground is crawling with talent at the moment, and I think the scene is in for a treat in the next couple of years, but I’d like name a new Finnish project called Twisted Puppies. Their sound is a great fusion of deep grooves, edgy tech house and lush progressive elements.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
– This would be one long list if I were to really think about it, but a couple of long time favourites would be Guy J, MUUI, Maceo Plex, Jeremy Olander, Roberto Rodriguez (Manolo), Jamie Stevens and Luis Junior.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? And who would you love to be remixed by?
– This is a tough one… I can’t really think of just one track that I’d like to get my hands on. So far I’ve been really lucky to get asked to remix such great original stuff. But for who I’d like to get remixed by I instantly think of one name; Nick Dow.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
– My favourite right now is probably Guy J’s Lost&Found. The musical diversity accompanied by consistent quality has had me in awe ever since the label launched. Another fresh label is the London based Kyubu Records that has been putting out some very forward-thinking techno and progressive house from the start.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
– I thought about this one a lot, and I just can’t bring myself to choose just one. I absolutely love all of John Digweed’s “Live In” -mixes and I think in there’s a perfect selection for any kind of moment I can think of.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: a good old homemade cheeseburger
Drug: life and other good stuff
Animal: dogs & monkeys
TV Show: Parks & Recreation, Rick & Morty
Video Game: GTA V
Album: “Illmatic” by Nas
Track / Song: “Guardian” by Cid Inc
Producer / Band: Minilogue, Guy J, Cid Inc, Maceo Plex, Bee Gees,
Record Label: Lost&Found, Lowbit, Replug, Particles, microCastle
Nightclub: Playground, Helsinki
DJ: Guy J, Cid Inc
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– “Tears In Rain” by Lord Of The Isles
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas
Tommi’s remix of Dan Kubo ‘Jupiter’ is out now on Stellar Fountain, you can purchase the release: here