The 200th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Damabiah.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
– Jean Michel Jarre – Second Rendez-vous
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
I never played Dj gigs, cause I am not a Dj, just livesets
– First one: in 1999 in an old medieval castle.
– Last one: last year in Monkey club in Orense Spain
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
– First one was a classical music audio tape when I was 7 or 8 years old
– Last one was Daft Punk RAM
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
– Definitely when I played two years ago in the Canary Islands in Lanzarote at Jameos del agua in one of the most wonderful places in the world
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I have six hens in my garden and I adore spending time to observe them
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
– I don’t know, I spend to much time producing music and not enough to listen to. It’s something I’m trying to fix. I would have to spend hours and hours listening to music to find new talents. I am subjectively very demanding. And I do not take enough time for that.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
– Henry Saiz for his eclecticism and perfectionism. I do not inspire me so much of others producers. I have digested a lot of what I listened when I was younger (Jarre, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Danny Elfman, Abba, composers of classical music and many others) and I think indirectly and associated with the mood of the moment, it is all that inspires me.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? And who would you love to be remixed by?
– I would love to remix Michael Jackson – Liberian girl, Jean Michel Jarre – September or some Danny Elfman’s musics
– It may be a bit pretentious but I would love my tracks reworked by classical composers
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, Which ones if any standout for you?
– No label in particular, but all those who accompany the artists in their artistic choices and emphasize the universe of the artist rather than a piece. Those who don’t focus only on the power of the beat or the dj friendly or commercial sides.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
– To be honest, I don’t know !
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: roasted cod bak with butter sauce
Drink: an alcohol-free cocktail: syrup of violet, grape juice and sparkling apple juice
Drug: a milk-grenadine ha!ha!
TV Show: House of Cards
Movie: Edward Scissorhands
Album: Jean Michel Jarre – Chronology
Track / Song: Pink Floyd – High Hopes
Producer / Band: Antonio Vivaldi
Record Label: Visionquest
Painter: Henri Rousseau, Salavador Dali
Writer: Haruki Murakami, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– If it was a liveset, and the last one, maybe I would play “Le Sang et la Sève”, a track which illustrates a transition, a passage and which is not dj friendly at all.
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas