Our 21st episode of 12 Questions features Dominique Heyninck aka Madloch. As diehard fans of Sound Avenue know Dominique is not only the owner and founder of the Belgian imprint but also its heart and soul. His latest original production (in conjunction with Matias Vila) ‘Reading Souls’ is out this week on Sound Avenue.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Madloch: This will be probably “ Jean Michel Jarre’s – Oxygene 4 “ wich I discovered trough my grandfather who was a big fan of him. He played his albums non-stop in the car during our family-holidays.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Madloch: My first gig was in the summer of ’97 on an open-air private party where I immediatly could play all night long. Last one was yesterday at a bridal-fair in Düsseldorf Germany where I played 4 days in a row.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Madloch: The first 12” i’ve bought was “Cosmic Baby – Loops Of Infinity” a German trance-classic! Last track I can’t remember, so many… but the last album I recently bought was “Howlin” from Jagwar Ma.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Madloch: As a dj it’s hard to pick one highlight, I had so many nice moments so far.. Maybe the first time I’ve played at the City Parade in Belgium in front of many thousands people.
As a producer the first time Hernan Cattaneo charted an original of me (Mitrinique – Earthbound) in his monthly chart. Another highlight is when John Digweed played the Petar Dundov remix of “Green Mountains” in his best of 2012 Transitions show.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Madloch: I’m a vegetarian since one year and I love to be creative in the kitchen.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Madloch: So many good talents out there! Matias Vila is for me one of the most underrated producers at the moment. He’s doing some incredible intelligent production-work at the moment. It’s a pleasure working with him on some tracks. Another great upcoming guy is “Antti Rasi” from Finland. I predict this guy a very bright future. He has a very unique style, we’ll release some of his original stuff very soon on our labels!
Giddyhead is another of those undiscovered talents from Argentina. And last but not least: Daraspa from Amsterdam. This guy was totally unknown till 6 months ago. He has send us a demo for the “We Are The Future” compilation wich was so good we immediatly offered him a release on Sound Avenue with some of his other tracks.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Madloch: Guy J, Eelke Kleijn, Of Norway, King Unique, Beat Syndrome, Guy Mantzur & Sahar Z, Pedro Aguiar, David August, Rampue,…
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Madloch: I would like to remix some old tracks from The Doors. Remixed by… Guy J, Tale Of Us,…
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Madloch: Lost & Found, microCastle, Sudbeat, Proton, Get Physical, Parquet Rec, Ellum…
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Madloch: Definatly GU024: Nick Warren: Reykjavic! Specially the first disc!
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Belgian fries, veggy burgers, petit beurre koek
Drink: Lipton Ice-tea, Almdudler
Drug: 50cm fresh powdersnow
TV Show: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Lillyhammer, The Bridge
Movie: Ferris Bueler Day Off
Video Game: not interested in games
Album: GU024, Balance005 James Holden, All Renaissance w/Hernan Cattaneo
Track / Song: Arnim – Teufelswerk (One Opinion Remix) – Crossfade Sounds
Producer / Band: Eelke Kleijn
Record Label: Lost & Found, Sudbeat, microCastle
Nightclub: never been there but I would love to visit/play in some clubs in Argentina!
DJ: Hernan Cattaneo
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Madloch: I’ll decide than! 🙂
Madloch & Matias Vila ‘Reading Souls’ is out now on Sound Avenue, you can purchase those releases: here