The 210th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Abyss.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
– I’m 36 years old, I’m living in Naples, Italy and producing and djing for 10 years
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
– In the 2006 Buzzin Fly (Ben Watt label’s) produced my first tune called mind games and from there I started to produce seriously my tracks
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
– I was the tea boy and sound engineering assistant of Planet Funk band during the first album
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
– It depends how my soul and mind are in that moment, there is not a specific time to make music for me….it’s art and for the creative works there are no time.
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
– Music is always part of me, it help to living better, but at the moment it isn’t the only way to live for me….none buy music…but I’ll try and try for ever to hit it up!
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effort on your own productions?
– I love morricone melody. He is the boss for me. I hear anykind of music, house,funky, acidjazz, classic, soul…
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
– The last cd of U2
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I want to play with Luciano b2b hahahahah!!
9. Which producers in your opinion get consistently overlooked?
– The underground scene, deep house… I can’t tell a specific artist. I know that the scene is always more close, there is no space for all, there are a lot of dj, producers everyday, that make shit ‘music’
10. Which producers consistently inspire you? And where else does your inspiration come from?
– I haven’t a specific producers who inspire me. I make my music
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
– It is the good way, it is ‘my way. But this way is the most difficult, cause it could be better make specific traks for a unique label that could help you to grew up and make gig and etc…
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– I could see the dance floor first hahahaha
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas