The 23rd episode of our 12 Questions segment features David R. Maddocks. The UK producer has a brand new EP entitled ‘Silverlands’ out this week on John Debo’s Mindwarp Records, please enjoy our 12 Questions segment with him below.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
David: “Impact (The Earth is Burning)” by Orbital. It’s the track that got me into producing dance music in the first place.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
David: My first was filling in at a mates “avant garde” art performance night! It was terrible. Last gig was last weekend when I did Bashboom in Derby UK. It’s a techno and tech house free-for-all night I set up and play with some DJ friends of mine. It’s always carnage.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
David: Well the first dance record was “Everybody in the Place by The Prodigy. The most recent was John Talobot ft. Pional “So Will Be Now” (Club Revision). It came out last year but I found a green vinyl copy recently.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
David: Constantly taking steps upwards! Signing work on great labels and moving forward.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
David: I have Synaesthesia. I see colours in music (and other things)
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
David: Ivan Mokshin, one of the guys I did a remix for last year with his track “Chelly”
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
David: Claude Von Stroke always hits the mark. As does Finnebassen and Booka Shade
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
David: I’d love to remix “Surkin – Ultralight” It’s titanic but as far as I know there isn’t a proper 12” mix of it. Ideally I’d like my tracks to be remixed by anyone unknown but talented and just coming through.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
David: I have to say Mindwarp, where my new EP “Sliverlands” is released. I also love Green Snake, Sound Avenue, Bonzai and Little Helpers.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
David: Easy. Sasha and Digweed “Northern Exposure”
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drink: Prosecco with my Girlfriend
Drug: No thanks.
Animal: Guinea Pig
TV Show: Game of Thrones
Movie: The Godfather pt 2
Video Game: not interested
Album: Orbital “Brown Album
Track / Song: Don’t really have a favourite.
Producer / Band: Sasha, Oakenfold, Wehbba, Alex Niggemann, Nicole Moudaber, Nina Kravitz etc.
Record Label: Crostown Rebels, Kompact, Suara, Drumcode…Stuff like that.
DJ: Nina Kravitz. Adam Beyer. Daniel Bortz. ect.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
David: “Ghetto Face Place Space” by Phil Kieran. No point messing about.
David’s ‘Silverlands EP’ is out now on John Debo’s Mindwarp Records, you can purchase those releases: here