The 246th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Spacebeat.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
– I’m 31 years old and currently living in the Siberian city Novosibirsk. Interest to DJing appeared in 1998 at a school discos.
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
– My first memories about electronic music are in the late of ’90s, that’s when this music attracted me with its simplicity and beauty to express emotions. Influenced by such producers as a Faithless, Chicane, ATB, Sash!, Red 5, PVD, Moby, Danny Tenaglia, Dave Seaman, Paul Oakenfold, Junkie XL, Leftfield, Orbital, Underworld, Schiller, Depeche Mode, Hybrid, James Holden, Deep Dish etc.
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
– I’m a pretty much self taught. My first program for creating music I learned on their own. There was no internet, no familiar who could help. It was FL Studio 4.
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
– When there is inspiration – everything goes by itself. I don’t think about the difficulties, I just do it… You don’t notice how time flies. It can take no one month.
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
– I like to walk, travel and communicate with good people. During the winter I love to snowboard. To be honest – I can’t wait when begins winter. Really love this season.
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effort on your own productions?
– I like different kinds of music from jazz to indie rock. It’s clear your mind and helps to relax.
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
– My first cassette purchased was «Reactivate 12 – Pulsing Sub-Aqua Vibrations and thumping jello beats» and last «Global Underground – Electric Calm vol. 2 (2xLP)» I’m a big fan of vinyl.
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I don’t know musical notation.
9. Which producers in your opinion get consistently overlooked?
– I never really thought about it and I can not to pick one. A lot of talented persons.
10. Which producers consistently inspire you? And where else does your inspiration come from?
– My inspiration comes from the world around me – people, streets, roads, forests, trees, birds, sky, air, wind, fire etc…
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
– You just have to feel it… else is come by itself.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
– Rui Da Silva – Earth
Spacebeat has new music out this week on 238W Inc. and Suffused Music, you can purchase those releases: here