The 262nd episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Ivan Stabile.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
– Im 24 , i live in Quilmes, Buenos Aires (AR). i started to produce and Djing back in 2011.
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
– Well i started to play guitar when i was 3 in 1994 learning songs of michael jackson by my own then i became in a huge fan of the beatles.
Electronic music was always present in my life and my first memories are without any doubt Depeche mode in the 90`s with enjoy the silence . Since i was a little child ,playing my guitar, i always knew that i just want to make music for living.
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
– It was very difficult even now , you are learning all the time, with every new song you make you learn, and you are always doing it better. I would like to say that i didnt take any courses, but of course i always taking advices from other producers and friends of mine.
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
– Im a musician ,first, so for me comes easier to do the music , the melodies , the harmonys, than the mixing process you know eqs , compressors , limiters and the master this things are definitely not my best.
Usually listen to good music helps a lot.
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
-A normal day for me ahah i dont have an hour to wake up but i get up and spend a little time cooking and then i go to my computer for a while listening music checking some promos and after that i start to make music . No i dont have a job outside this. When im not working with my music i just love to hang out with friends , enjoy the nature , make a little travel or just read some book , watch tv, movies.
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effect on your own productions?
– Well i listen a lot of music and i really really like The beatles (my favorite) , Pink floyd , Led zeppelin , Depeche mode , Lana del rey. And yes i think that we all took some things from our musical influences .
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
-The first CD i remember was one of michael jackson i cant remember wich one and the last CD was “New” of Paul McCartney just a couple of weeks ago . i also bought a couple of tracks of Stephan Bodzin from beatport this week
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
– I play drums , guitar , synths , i love good food and cooking.
9. Which producers in your opinion get consistently overlooked?
-So so many , but i dont want to say any name.
10. Which producers consistently inspire you? And where else does your inspiration come from?
-Well i really like David august , Nicolas jaar , Stephan Bodzin , tale of us , and i dont know where the inspiration come from its really hard to know some days you just wake up with a sound or a melody in your head and some other days you cant do anything
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
-I would say that you have to do the music you would like to listen, do music for you, dont do music just for being charted for a famous dj.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
-This is hard to imagine but my last track would be this one
Kollektiv Turmstrasse – Ordinary (Live Version)
Ivan has new music out now on Mistique Music and Balkan Connection South America, you can purchase those releases: here