The 281st episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Enlusion.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
I’m 22 years old and I live in a city called Ramenskoe in Moscow Region. I’ve started DJing in 2007 and then in 2012 I’ve started producing my own music in Ableton.
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
It all started when I was searching for some new music in 2007 on our local FTP servers, I found a live video performance of Infected Mushroom and as long as I was listening to rock\alternative music back then, this band helped me to switch to trance music because their style was something between rock and trance in that period of time. Then I found a DI.FM internet radio station and was listening to Trance and DJ Mixes channels a lot while playing games 😀
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
It was very, very hard for me! It took me 2 years to make a first good sounding track and I’m still searching for some new production courses on youtube and some other resources almost every day!
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
The most difficult part for me is to make a bassline while the easiest part is to make melodies for my tracks.
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
I get up at 6 AM every weekday and come home at something like 7 PM, I work as a system administrator in a pretty big international company and besides music I like to watch and play football, and some other sport games.
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effect on your own productions?
Besides electronic music I like to listen to alternative and rock music, but I don’t think that it has a direct effect on my own stuff.
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
I can’t remember the first one but the last one was a brand new album of Leon Bolier under his WSTLNDR alias called Atmostopia, that’s massive!
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I’m russian and I don’t drink alcohol haha
9. Which producers in your opinion get consistently overlooked?
Cosmithex, Gordey Tsukanov, Alex Vidal and Alfonso Muchacho, these guys deserve much more!
10. Which producers consistently inspire you? And where else does your inspiration come from?
I get inspired by the same artists as I mentioned above actually! Another source of inspiration comes from my girlfriend.
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
Not to copy anyone else and I think that It’s easier to start producing your own music from remixes, not from originals.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
I’m too young to think about that haha, I’ve no idea, it depends on the key of the previous track 😀
‘Ways & Means’ is out now on Abstract Space Records, you can purchase the release: here