The fourth installment of our 12 Questions segment features another good friend of ours Hugo Ibarra. The Mexican producer was another one of 2013’s brightest up and comers. Hugo’s super smooth brand of hypno-prog earned praise from Hernan Cattaneo who featured several of his productions not only on his Resident radioshow but also in his monthly charts. Hugo’s got a new remix out this week in conjunction with Uvo on Balkan Connection, check our ‘Essential Purchases’ section for a review and please enjoy our 12 Questions segment with him below.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidiﬁed your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Hugo: That would be with no doubt Alan Fitzpatrick – Moon Palace , when i heard John Digweed for ﬁrst time when i was living in Barcelona, that really changed my idea of what can I do with music, to provoke emotions , and play with your mind sometimes , man! that track was really blowing mind!
2. What was your ﬁrst and last DJ gig?
Hugo: My ﬁrst Dj’gig was in a city near where I grew up, was a local party but with a lot of people, I was really nervous, but when I saw the reaction of the crowd for what i was doing was awesome, and I realize that actually had a good taste for the music. My last gig was a Live Act alongside my partner Uvo, we prepared for weeks that set up, and like 3 days of non stop studio work to ﬁnish tracks for the presentation, we just played the half of we prepared but was really awesome, we did a lot of live performance, and some experimentation of set up that ended pretty well.
3. What was the ﬁrst and last record you purchased?
Hugo: The ﬁrst record ever, was (not so proud) Limp Bizkit – Three Dolar Bill, and the ﬁrst Electronic Record was a Global Underground from Nick Warren After Hours, was a present for my brother but ended in my hands !
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Hugo: The highlight I think it’s from my album Cinema Paradise release , and now , it’s a big moment for me cause I’m singing on my favorite labels , and sharing roster with really good artist in this moment. and I think that good thing will still coming if I keep this phase.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Hugo: I’m a super fan of mixed martial arts, and a Muay Thai Amateur ﬁghter. and a Jiu jitsu practitioner too.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Hugo: In Mexico there is a lot of talent that just need to be heard , but some names that I think deserves to be on the ears of the world are Issac , Alex Villanueva , Kaban , from others countries Simos Tagias , Magshine and Marcelo Paladini & Lautaro Varela from Argentina, there is a lot of good producers around.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Hugo: For start all the Israelis Guy J, Guy Gerber, Guy Mantzur , Khen, Lonya , Sahar Z, Hernan Cattaneo & Soundexile, Scotty A, Navar, Darin Epsilon , Stas Drive and a lot more.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Hugo: Would love a remix for Guy Gerber , and a remix from Guy Mantzur !
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Hugo: In my case, the labels are like never let me down Bedrock, Lost & Found, Hope, microCastle, Perspectives, Lowbit , Movement just for mention a few, but there is a lot of labels that only sign to sell mediocre music and with cents, make a little of money, sadly
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Hugo: Fabric 64 of Guy Gerber
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drink: Ice Lemon Tea
TV Show: Breaking Bad
Video Game: Metal Gear
Album: Dark Side Of The Moon
Track / Song: Guy j – Rose & Porcupine Tree – Anesthetize
Producer / Band: Guy J & Porcupine Tree
Record Label: Bedrock
DJ: John Digweed
12. If the ﬁnal DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Hugo: Hugo Ibarra & Tini Tun – Lovely Girl
Vanyano ‘Canis Majoris’ (Hugo Ibarra & Uvo Remix) is out now on Balkan Connection, you can purchase the release: here