The 31st episode of our 12 Questions series features Alex Villanueva. The Mexican producer has a brand new remix of Daraspa’s ‘Thekro’ on Travis MacDonald’s Agara Music. Please enjoy our 12 Questions segment with Alex below.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Alex: Infusion – Legacy (Synaesthesia Dub Mix) If I had to choose one track is this one, that I heard when a friend gave me the Dave Seaman Melbourne album mix.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Alex: The first time I played a mix in a live gig was in the last floor of a Hotel back in my home town, the name of this place was “The UP” which had a penthouse adapted with a 360º view of the city. A very nice place with very nice people, this experience made me understand that I wanted to be in the music scene, produce, maybe not at a professional level but It will be a lifetime hobby. My last gig was at a bar in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico, named “Vintage House Bar”.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Alex: I believe the first album I purchased was the Dave Seaman Melbourne after some friend gave it to me to listen. The last record I got is “The Soundgarden” from Nick Warren.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Alex: I think the best moment for me is now and what has passed of this year. Also seeing that great artists like Nick Warren and Hernan Cattaneo have played my productions.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Alex: I’m going to make my relationship formal with my girlfriend.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Alex: I could recommend the Phonilogic project that is from my hometown, I think he has a lot of talent but the lack off time makes it difficult for him to exploit his project.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Alex: Matias Chilano, Soulwerk, Marc Poppcke, Progress Inn, Sonic Union, Loquai, Michael A, Dousk, Henry Saiz, Eelke Kleijn and Kaban.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Alex: I’d love to remix Sasha, and also be remixed by him, also 16 Bit Lolitas.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Alex: Lost & Found, Sudbeat, microCastle, Proton and Lowbit.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Alex: Sasha San Francisco, Global Underground label
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Mexican and Japanese Food.
Animal: Sea otter
TV Show: No TV
Movie: Casino, Scarface, Goodfellas.
Video Game: Call of Duty
Album: Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon
Track / Song: Breathe (reprise), David Gilmour version
Producer / Band: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors
Record Label: Lowbit, Agara Music
Nightclub: Fabric London, Pacha.
DJ: Hernan Cattaneo
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Alex: My last production.
Alex’s remix of Daraspa ‘Thekro’ is out now on Travis MacDonald’s Agara Music, you can purchase those releases: here