The 310th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Martin Merkel.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
44 Years 😉 and live in a small town near Baden Baden (Germany) I’m Djing since I’m 18 years old, producing i started in the age of 19 or 20 i made some small breaks for my musical live .. in 2004 I stoped working in the clubs and in 2011 i started to produce again and now I make sometimes some gigs 😉
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
Well my first Techno track ever was LA Stlye – James Brown is Dead that was the moment when i said to myself that’s the thing what i want to play and also to create 😉
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
I’ve learned everything on my own that was hard because i could not play any piano at that time i was working with Cubase and later wit Logic the first productions .. well i was happy to create some stuff (with real Synthseizers)
in 2011 i was restarting producing music with Ableton Live and I was in front of something new for me but now i love Ableton it´s amazing what you can do with that Software.
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
I enjoy a lot the whole process of starting from nothing and build a unique track.
When I have a block I go outside into the nature i have a great garden i love to work there it’s relaxing or I just play Xbox 😉
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
Yes I have a normal job 😉 because when you have not so much gigs it´s hard to live from your music ..
I love to watch movies and spend time with friends and family and my Xbox 😉
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effect on your own productions?
I listen Everything i like Soundtracks from Movies or Games
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
hahaha thats a long time ago it was Silver Pozzoli – Around My Dream in the 80´s it was a red Vinyl that was my first Maxi Single ever.
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I have countless releases under some alias you never would be imagine 😉
9. Which producers in your opinion get consistently overlooked?
A lot of great producers are underrated and a lot of average producers are completely overrated, today all is marketing that’s a big problem there is so much great music out there but without the people behind it’s really hard…. that’s a sad thing in the music today
10. Which producers consistently inspire you? And where else does your inspiration come from?
Many… I could not choose one .. I like for all the stuff on Traumwelten and Secondary Tones also the Artists there.
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
Just make music because you like doing it.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Martin Merkel feat. Fe Malefiz – Voyager ( Vocal Edit )
‘La vida es Linda’ is out now on Traumwelten, you can purchase the release: here