The 46th episode of our 12 Questions segment features Alex Vidal. The Spanish producer has a new remix of MdM ‘Black Snow’ out now on Stellar Fountain. Please enjoy our 12 Questions segment with Alex below.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Alex: Hard to answer. I’m very influenced by the music of the 80’s. Maybe there are two songs that solidified my love for electronic music at that time, Visage “Fade To Gray” & New Order “Blue Monday”… Yeah I’m a romantic 🙂
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Alex: My first proper gig was at an underground rave party in 2001 and was really amazing. And last gig was 2 months ago at a private party here in Valencia where I live.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Alex: The first dance vinyl I purchased was K.R.B. “The Mysterious Song” in 1992. And it’s been 5 or 6 years since I bought my last vinyl and to be honest I don’t remember which one it was.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Alex: When two of my first tracks were played by Paul Oakenfold on his Radio Show 170, that was a very special moment for me.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Alex: Well, one thing that usually surprises people is when someone asks me about my age and when I started to produce my own music. Most people think that I’m a young producer, but I’m not so young. I’m 39 now and I started to produce in late 2012 when I was 37.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Alex: All the talented guys that I know are already discovered but maybe not totally recognized by now.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Alex: Uuuufffff would be a huge list. Henry Saiz, Robert Babicz, Cid Inc., Hernan Cattaneo, Guy J, Deepfunk, Gai barone, Darin Epsilon, Marc Marzenit, Dosem… and the list goes on.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Alex: I would love to remix or be remixed by any of the artist named above. Would be a dream come true.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Alex: I love all the labels with which I signed my tracks and remixes so far (Stellar Fountain, Mistique Music, Bonzai Progressive, Suffused, OLD SQL, etc) but labels like Sudbeat, Perspectives Digital, Mooseekaa, microCastle, Baroque, Natura Sonoris or Suara, stand out for me.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Alex: Another hard question to answer. Focus On: Renaissance mixed by Neil Quigley. Possibly is not the best but is one of my favourites of all time.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Typical Mediterranean Spanish food & pasta.
Drink: Spanish red wine & Belgium beer.
Drug: Nowadays music is my only drug.
Animal: Love all animals, but now I have 2 Gerbils at home and I’m in love with them.
TV Show: Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman
Movie: Stars Wars movies.
Video Game: Gran Turismo 6 & NBA 2K14
Album: Henry Saiz “Reality Addendum”
Track / Song: Dosem – Cuts Or Cats (Original Mix)
Producer / Band: Henry Saiz & Robert Babicz
Record Label: Sudbeat & Mooseekaa
Nightclub: Barraca (Now sadly closed).
DJ: Robert Babicz, Henry Saiz, Hernan Cattaneo…
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Alex: Really don’t know what track would be, but I’m sure that would be one of my own tracks and possibly I would compose a special track for that special moment.
Alex’s remix of MdM ‘Black Snow’ is out now on Stellar Fountain, you can purchase the release: here