The 50th episode of our 12 Questions segment features Greek producer Simos Tagias.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Simos: There are a lot of tracks that inspired me but only one made me fall in love with electronic music..it was Tijuana – Groove Is In The Air2 mixed by Digweed in GU LA the hole cd was massive but i loved and still love the groove and the vocals from that track .
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Simos: My first gig….hahahah ,i remember that day!! It was at a party we had in school that we organized the last moment, but everything was simply amazing!! Everyone was dancing and pumping…The last gig i played was in a pool party in my city, here in Greece.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Simos: The first record i purchased was Liquid – Sweet Harmony in 1997 . I was 15 years old and it was the best birthday gift i bought to myself…amazing sounds .The truth is that i have many years to purchase a record . The last one was Tijuana – Groove is in the Air , remix from Bedrock in 2001 . Simons future dreams mix is still one of my favorite tracks, like i said before.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Simos: Hmm difficult question…I started producing music few years ago …so i don’t have enough experiences to mention a highlight of my career yet.. The good comments and feedbacks, by leading producers and djs, for my music make me really happy and gives me strength to keep on working hard .
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Simos: Haha nice question i still like going with my friends to Greek clubs, with live Greek music, called “Bouzoukia” and through flowers to the singers lol
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Simos: Except of me?haha just joking!! I think there are a lot of undiscovered talents with great tracks and its a matter of time for a label to discover them..It will be unfair to name someone because I don’t think I’m the right person to judge.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Simos: Like i said before Guy j I’m big fan of his, Hernan Cattaneo and Soundexile, Silinder, Marcelo Vasami and many more have helped and inspired me to make my sounds better.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Simos: I’d like to remix a track from Guy j i think he’s style is closer to mine.. and i’d like to remixed by him too!! If he has time for me!! lol
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Simos: Yes its true, i agree with that but there some good labels that try to stay in a high level like Bedrock, Sudbeat, Lost & Found, microCastle, and many more.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Simos: I’m fan of old progressive house… The best mix compilation for me was GU 09 LA by John Digweed . I have never heard anything better than this.. It is the absolute underground compilation.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Stuffed Tomatoes with rice and minced meet, its called Gemista in Greek
TV Show: No tv
Movie: Apocalypse now
Video Game: Call of duty
Album: “The Doors”
Track / Song: “Light my fire”
Producer / Band: Guy J
Record Label: Sudbeat
Nightclub: “Bahrein” club in Argentina i would love to go there sometime
DJ: Hernan Cattaneo
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Simos: The last track i would like to play is something from the past ‘Shmuel Flash – Chilling Moments (Original Mix) . I think it would be the perfect closing for my career…
Simos’ ‘Swing’ is out now on System Recordings, you can purchase the release: here