The 52nd episode of our 12 Questions segment features Croatian producer Mo’ Funk.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Mo’ Funk: That is hard to say. It all started in 1997 when I heard The Prodigy for the first time and their new album The Fat Of The Land. That’s when electronic music hit me in the head for real! After that, when I got into techno and house music I must say a track from Valentino Kanzyani – Bazaar (Primate Recordings).
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Mo’ Funk: I’m actually playing live with Mario Dropulic aka Asta Nova. We played our first and last gig in Club 21, located in our home town…No international gigs yet, but we are still in the development of our live performance and the whole concept behind it.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Mo’ Funk: Well, as I’m playing live I don’t buy records and It wouldn’t be fair to mention any records I have, but did not buy it myself.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Mo’ Funk: It was a personal highlight when I released a track on Ricky Ryan’s Avangardia. Being a huge fan of Ricky, this meant so much for me and my effort as a new producer.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Mo’ Funk: I can tell you that I’m not just a music producer but also a professional chef. Food is my second passion. And I love to do acrylic paintings for my friends and family.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Mo’ Funk: I see my friend Asta Nova as a great talent who is still undiscovered, but will soon have the opportunity to show his musical ideas to the world.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Mo’ Funk: Matt Rowan, Booka Shade, Eelke Kleijn, Robert Babicz, Oxia, Ramon Tapia, Lutzenkirchen, Dosem, Wehbba, Pezzner, Lank, Technasia, Doomwork, Sonic Future, Todd Terje, Echomen just to name a few.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Mo’ Funk: I would like to remix Sonic Future, they have such a fresh and positive sound. And I’d like to be remixed by Lutzenkirchen, this guy is just sick.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Mo’ Funk: There is a lot of labels nowadays, but here’s few I like a lot: Intec, Defected, Sudbeat, Mesmeric, Soma, 8Bit, Suara, Manual, Noir, Balkan Connection…
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Mo’ Funk: Dirtchamber sessions vol.1 mixed by Liam Howlett from The Prodigy. There are 48 tunes from many artists mixed, scratched and cut. Just an epic mix by this genius.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Vegetables, fish
Drink: Sambucus juice
TV Show: No TV for me
Movie: Pulp Fiction
Video Game: I don’t play them
Album: Massive Attack – Mezzanine
Track / Song: Thievery Corporation – All That We Perceive
Producer / Band: Liam Howlett
Record Label: Intec
DJ: Danny Howells
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Mo’ Funk: Valentino Kanzyani – Flying (Sultan and The Greek Remix)
Mo’ Funk’s ‘When Magic Happen’ EP is out now on The Purr, you can purchase the release: here