The 53rd episode of our 12 Questions segment features Russian producer Ewan Rill.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Ewan: It can be millions tracks, but I choose “40th Street – Do What You Wanna Do” this time.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Ewan: First one was in Siberia in 1997, it was happy new year party with friends, last gigs was in Siberia too)) in June 2014, I was playing at place called Mayak Bar, and it’s was awesome atmosphere!
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Ewan: First one I can’t remember, I remember my first vinyl, it was “Hed Kandi: Deeper”, wow what a music! Last what I’ve purchased was Audio Noir – Pressure (Original Mix)
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Ewan: I worked in small and amazing place called club Mix in 2003-2006, and it was brilliant atmosphere and different styles of club music, especially a lot of underground sounds, many good people dancing for the good vibes, I don’t forget this feelings, and I will try to share it to the world.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Ewan: I don’t know, I was playing as a dj with Kuzbass Governor Symphony Orchestra, or once I was played my gigs blindfolded, everyone was surprised 🙂
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Ewan: Undiscovered? Best? Best are always discovered, if you are not discovered to the worldwide, then you should work harder.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Ewan: There was a time when I’ve get a lot inspiration from Sander Kleinenberg, at present time I think all progressive house scene are interesting, from small artists to the big names, we all know this big names, but I should name Cid Inc, because I can listen to his music many times.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Ewan: Maybe some classic house tune, something from the past time, like a Deux – Sun Rising Up, I’m still playing this tune, great vocal parts, you know I’m making a lot of remixes, music our days is too fresh, I need something special to get more inspiration 🙂 About who to remixed by, I think Guy J, Ricky Ryan or Henri, also I like sounds from Dosem and Eelke Kleijn.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Ewan: Every record that making their own radio shows, festivals, parties. Every label that bring to us not only the music, but cultural event. That’s I think is very important for our time.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Ewan: Henry Saiz: Balance 019.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: fried eggs
Drink: Vodka (kidding) I like milk.
Drug: I prefer golden mean.
Animal: Cats, sorry Dogs lover :)))
TV Show: Mighty Bush
Video Game: MK
Album: Michael Jackson – History
Track / Song: Rich Curtis – Freeloader (Cid Inc. Remix) at the moment.
Producer / Band: all Progressive House scene!
Record Label: oh I’m sorry, they all need to be listed, a lot of people trying to release good music, I can’t choose a part of it 🙂
Nightclub: Mix, now I can’t find anything similar.
DJ: Hernan Cattaneo, Sven Vath, Richie Hawtin, Paul Van Dyk, Cid Inc, Guy J…. these are the masters, they are true professionals for me.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Ewan: I can’t find the name of the track, but it’s some instrumental breakbeat version of Depeche Mode – Enjoy The Silence, with girl vocal only and with massive atmosphere movement, that hits right in the heart.
Ewan has remixes out now on Balkan Connection and Soundteller Records, you can purchase those releases: here