The 63rd episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer GRG.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
That’s quite hard to tell, but I think the Invol2ver album from Sasha changed the way I was seeing music at that time, so I think it was the reason I got deeper into music making.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
First proper gig was 07/07/07 at an alternative stage in a psytrance rave in my hometown. Used to play tech-trance by that time. My last was a closing b2b set after D-Nox at the 3rd anniversary party of our cultural label MOVE in Recife/Brasil.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
My first 12” was “DJ Preach – The Bailout” mainly because of the Wehbba remix on it back in 2008. The last I got was “Mind Against – Atlant 12”. Quite a slowdown hahaha.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Hard question. To be honest, I believe it’s still coming and I’m working for that. But a special moment for sure was when I caught Sasha playing Sobota’s remix of Stretch at SW4 festival in London. It was quite unexpected and special for sure.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Hahaha. Don’t know… Maybe the fact that I like Slipknot hahaha Yeah, I know that’s awful 😛
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
It depends what you mean by undiscovered. if you mean literally undiscovered, there are 2 fresh talents from my hometown that you’re gonna hear about in some years which are Renor(he got a track out a few days ago on System Recordings, and his new stuff are really good) and Bernardo Morr.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
I get inspired by everything that I play and listen. Lately I’ve been really inspired by the deep, dark and melodic sound, so I’ve been listening lots of stuff like that. David August, Bob Moses, Mano le tough, Tale of Us, Mind Against, Maceo Plex, Fur coat. But if I have to tell someone that has always been an inspiration for me, it would be Sasha.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I’d love to remix something from Apparat and be remixed by Tale of Us.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
True. I like the idea that everyone can open your own label and release your music, but this is flooding the market with so many shit that could wait a bit more and be more polished on proper labels. But still, we have lots of amazing labels out there and as i’m in a deeper moment I’ve been in love with many stuff from such as Last Night on Earth, Sekoia, Life & Death, Innervisions, Permanent Vacations, Crosstown, Supplement Facts and Bpitch among others.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
I would stay between James Holden’s and Henry Saiz’ Balance.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: All of them!
TV Show: Game of Thrones
Movie: Godfather and Guy Ritchie’s stuff. I love anything related to mafia and gangs.
Video Game: GTA V and the Batman Arkham series.
Track / Song: Bob Moses – Far from the Tree
Producer / Band: Fur Coat, Maceo Plex, Henry Saiz, Mano Le Tough, Tale of Us, Bob Moses, Nicolas Jaar.. goes on
Record Label: Last Night on Earth, Sekoia, Life & Death, Innervisions, Permanent Vacations
Nightclub: Warung Beach Club
DJ: Sasha, Maya Jane Coles
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Pachanga Boys – Time
DNYO & GRG ‘Empty Glass’ is out now on Flow Vinyl, you can purchase the releases: here