The 81th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Marshall White.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
The Red Dress (Alex Krueger, Michael Vater) – Tiefschwarz Remix. The first time I heard that track was in Ibiza and I just found the production so sophisticated and the palette of sounds so rich and original.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
I did quite some DJing for house parties and such when I was much younger but my first club gig was at Cult Club Lausanne in 2005 and my last was an open air party a couple of days ago organized by Triplex Events in Bern.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
My first vinyl ever was Iron Maiden – “The Number Of The Beast” and the last album I got was “Porn Fiction” by Riccicomoto.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Having John Digweed play 2 tracks from my “Tempus Fugit” EP on his Transitions #510 show was definitely not too shabby!
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I have a background in biology, so at some point in my life (long time ago btw) I was an expert in microinjection. That means inoculating single living cells with genetically modified bits of DNA (aka plasmids) under the microscope.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
BarBQ, Borodin and Shiva.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
The/Das, Gui Boratto, Stimming, Booka Shade…
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I’d love to remix Alanis Morrissette and among all the artists that I would love to be remixed by, I’ll just mention Darius Syrossian, Dixon and Ame for the time being.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Innervisions, Suara, Visionquest.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Deep Dish GU 025 Toronto
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Steak Tartare, Ceviche
Drink: Considering I grew up in Ecuador, I’m quite sold to dark Caribbean rum, and as far as I’ve tasted my 3 favs (in that order) are: Diplomatico, Zacapa and Pampero Aniversario
Drug: A spliff of Nepalese Cream always works wonders!
TV Show: Breaking Bad or House Of Cards
Movie: The Matrix
Video Game: I haven’t really played video games since the days I used to own an Atari 2600…
Album: “The Wall” by Pink Floyd
Track / Song: “Ciudad De La Furia” (unplugged version) by Sodastereo / “Ella” by Ruben Blades
Producer / Band: Ame, Mario Basanov, Matthew Dekay, Dixon…
Record Label: Life and Death
Nightclub: DC10 in Ibiza, Time in Manila
DJ: Mano Le Tough
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Before The Sunrise – Joey Wellboy – Dixon Remix
Marshall’s remix of Shiva ‘Projection’ is out now on Asia Music, can purchase the release: here