The 84th episode of our 12 Questions segment features Russian producer Paul Funkee.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
It is difficult to determine something certain. But I can exactly name the track, after which I fell in love with minimal music – Mr.Dee & Sergey PX – Cellar, a plenty of things is associated with this track, in particular, the beginning of my work in the style of minimal and techno.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
My first DJ gig was in my hometown Kursk in 2009, I gathered all my friends because of this 🙂 Last gig was tonight in my native town too.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
I don’t remember my first one, but I remember my first audio tape, it was Rammstein – Sad but true 🙂 Last record is in my box, this is a new techno bomb from Lewis Fautzi – Spectral Lines (Original Mix)
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
If I had to choose only one, it would be selected as owner Leap4rog Music with my Belarusian friends Egoism project. And also I should add that I’m radio host of show «Electroza» on a local radio station.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I was keen on sport for many years, it was basketball, football and even boxing 😀 and also I have a sports category Athletics. more.. I can touch my nose with my tongue.., and with your nose too! I make a perfect coffee (at least my girlfriend speaks so).
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
hmm.. It’s hard to say. Let it be the only unanswered. I hope no one will be offended 🙂
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Perhaps this is Moderat, Dominik Eulberg, Maceo Plex, Sasha…I find it difficult to list all the producers, because I am inspired by sounds, but not producers 🙂
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
If it is really interesting and tempting offer, that artist doesn’t matter. In turn, I would not mind to be remixed by DJ Koze, Sasha, Coyu, Dusky and others relevant artists now.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
With regards to the amount of labels..Supply creates its own demand! On the other hand, I would have got rid of a certain amount of crap..:D Kompakt, Bedrock Records, Infine, Traum, Sudbeat Music, Manual Music some of my following.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Sasha – Live @ Involv3r Release Party @ Warehouse, Leeds – 2013-05-05
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drug: I will not be original – music 🙂
TV Show: NatGeo
Movie: the films of Alejandro Jodorowsky
Video Game: quests, CS 1.6
Album: for photos
Track / Song: Seal – Kiss from a rose, Haddaway – What is love
Producer / Band: Russian: Король и шут
Record Label: Leap4rog Music 😛
DJ: Sasha, John Digweed, Carl Cox, Ricardo Villalobos
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
I don’t know, if my fans appreciate it, but «aphex twin – vordhosbn» would be the perfect end to my trip.
Paul’s ‘The King & The Queen’ is out now on MNL, you can purchase the release: here