The 91st episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Costa V.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
The Prodigy – Firestarter
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
My first DJ gig was at the club formerly known as Vanguard in Hollywood, CA and my last was at the Avalon Nightclub also in Hollywood, CA.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
Hmm first? First non-electronic music by Dad bought for me was the album Green Day – Dookie. The first electronic record would be Claude Von Stroke – Who’s Afraid of Detroit (Stanton Warriors Remix) and the latest track is Joel Mull – Wind It Up.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
Getting to share the music I love and the idea that I want to convey through music and emotion to a lot of people.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I’ve turned into a music prude! Not too thrilled about it either. There’s just a lot of bad electronic music out there these days.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Dubspeeka, Lanny May, Wigbert, Nathan Coles, Richie G, Roland M. Dill
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Guy Gerber, The Chemical Brothers, Tycho, Roland M. Dill, Charlie May, Mathew Jonson, Dusty Kid and Apehx Twin
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I would love to remix either Charlie May and Sasha’s tracks, mainly Coma. Or Aphex Twin’s On, Film, or Alberto Balsam.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Gem Recordings, Drumcode, Bedrock, Microcastle, System Recordings, Traum, Lost & Found, My Favorite Robot, Rumors, Supplemental Facts, Viseral, Superfreq, Cocoon. All very original labels that release good progressive music. This helps artists who don’t want to conform to the mold of EDM have a word in the scene.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Sasha – Invol2ver, John Digweed – Transitions 3 & 4
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Greek Food, Thai Food, Japanese Food
Drink: Pineapple Vodka or Frananziskaner
Drug: Caffeine, and lots of it!
Animal: Dogs, Monkeys and Cats
TV Show: Homeland, Cosmos, and Walking Dead
Movie: Thin Red Line (or anything scored by Hanz Zimmer)
Video Game: Diablo 3 or Call of Duty
Album: Chemical Brothers – Further
Track / Song: Brian Cid – Myst
Producer / Band: Charlie May, Chemical Brothers, Dusty Kid, Minilogue Aphex Twin and The Strokes
Record Label: Drumcode or Waveform Recordings
Nightclub: Underground venues or a good late night at the Avalon
DJ: The Chemical Brothers, John Digweed, EgbertLIVE, Audion, Sasha & Digweed (always), Lee Burridge,
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Baboop – Yes We Can (Luis Junior Remix) or Minilogue – Atoms With Curiosity That Looks At Itself and Wonder Why it Wonders – two of some of the longest songs in my collection so that I could milk every second of still being behind the decks.
‘Circuits EP’ is out now on System Recordings, can purchase the release: here