With Gvozdini having new music out this week on Replug we catch up with him for the latest episode of 12 Questions.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
Hello to everyone) My name is Taras, surname Gvozd, artist name Gvozdini, I 37, I’m from Ukraine, I live in a beautiful and historic European city of Lviv, where I invite all who were not.
Indeed, the first was DJing) In 1995 (I was 17) in 1998 (my 20 years), the first mixes, cassettes))) horror … .. as I remember, but how many emotions and impressions!) Since 2001 left dJing.
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
Oh, I still is far from the 90’s. I then every molecule of my body and soul in love rave music. He was later Mayday, Love Parade. Seeing how people dance music brings joy, emotion, drive, again motivated me to create something. Around the age of 22 years, after DJing decided to continue its movement in the other direction, I wanted more development and progress. Such artists as Dj Westbam, Dr.Motte, Lexy, Timo Maas, Tom Novy, Moby and many other stars of the time, I formed and instilled the taste for love of music.
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
Any beginning is always difficult! My recipe is: motivation, obsessive desire, good taste, unlimited number of sleepless nights for practical exercises = desired result). It was so in my case. No advice, no classes, I just learned myself. As today remember my first computer (it was a Pentium 3) sick-speed internet (at speeds up to 56 kb))))) and the first sequencers type Fast Tracker, Fruity Loops (now FL Studio) – which also use both basic in my work by now.
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
The most difficult for me is the process of mixing, and I manage easiest melodic component. So, unfortunately, there are times, and I think what happens when not enough bright emotions and pleasant experiences. However, I do I try this for a long time does not stop and try to spend more time with my family, best friends, more walk and breathe fresh air, traveling in the mountains. In addition, my strong aphrodisiac and engine work is the feeling of love.)))
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
Usually I have everything systemized. For example, each morning I start with morning exercise, contrast shower, breakfast and warm tea.
And in the evenings, usually after working hours, I’m busy CrossFit, fitness, also love my Play station 4)) arranged watching movies.
So, besides music I work 5 days a week, by profession I am a lawyer.
But Saturday and Sunday or a holiday, it’s my favorite days. That’s when I have an opportunity to solve many household chores, and most importantly to visit relatives or stay for myself, to meet for a delicious dinner with friends, leisure.
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effect on your own productions?
I listen to a lot of things, all depends on my mood, separately highlight only style Chill Step, Ambient, Drum n Bass, Indie and artists such as Massive Attack, Ólafur Arnalds, Natures Void, Empire of the Sun, Zhu. So of course, that music affects me.
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
My first cassette I bought was called «Techno Industrial 90 rave cassette session!», (It was written by hand))))) name bands at that time did not know, but it sounds was cool!
Now all buy exclusively in digital format. Like music that seems to Steyoyoke Recordings, Parquet Recording, Diynamic, Microcastle (especially struck by the powerful “Climb to the Sun EP”), Sudbeat, Replug, Movement and other great labels.
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I am very choosy and like to experiment around.
9. You have a new track out this week on Cid Inc’s Replug Records, tell us a bit about the release and the track itself, do you feel it’s one of your most accomplished tracks?
Honestly, track Safo (Original Mix) was not written for one night or a week. Work on it lasted two months. I initially put in it a lot of experience gained in recent years, and most importantly believe that he has a soul, I hope it will find its audience. As every artist I was planning to find a wonderful home or give in good and professional hands. Label Replug I took one of the first and sent back Demo. And, within a few days I received mail response from Dan Orsen and Henry (Cid inc.) (Using the feed very grateful to them for such a chance) proposals to give them track. My joy knew no bounds. I published many advanced and excellent labels, but Replug Records for me was the one stepping stone, to the base, the hope which lead me to further victories. And yes, I think that “Safo” my most accomplished tracks.
10. Tell us 5 big tunes that your loving at the moment?
Armen Miran & Hraach – Aldebaran (Original Mix)
Rebeat feat. Jacques Bre – Ne Me Quitte Pas (Original Mix)
BAAL & Rey Lenon – Faith (Original Mix)
Sailor & I x Eekkoo – Letters (Lower Case) (NTFO Remix)
Fynn – Altered State (Original Mix)
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
I advise never give up, even if not always get the desired result, a lot of work, acquire new skills, find their unique sound. If any of novice artists need my help, advice, always open to dialogue, and can help, please contact me in Facebook)
12. And lastly, what’s coming next from Gvozdini?
It will Gvozdini – Even Angels Die Of Extasy (Original Mix)
The track will be released soon on a compilation Movement Recordings.
‘Safo’ is out now on Replug Records, you can purchase the release: here