The 102nd episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Martin Berger.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
When I heard for the first time “Forget the World” (Jhon Creamer & Stefan K) in hands of Hernan Cattaneo from Clubland Pacha 2003 sets. Amazing, was a click in my mind, really love the dark & deep vibe on it!! And this moment is all because of 2 great friends: Santiago Etchebarren and Sebastian Lopassio they introduce me to electronic music world.
2. What was the first and last record you purchased?
The first was a cassette: Appetite for Destruction- Guns and Roses and the last was a cd: Renaissance Master Series Hernan Cattaneo Vol. 2
3. How does your studio differ now to when you started producing?
Not too much, better computer & Headphones, a controler and midi key, its very small (for now)
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
When Hernan Cattaneo drop in his radio show and chart: Julian Rodriguez & Martin Berger- Birdcage ( Nicholas Van Orton Remix), was a really great moment in my career and all of this was possible for the work that we did with Julian Rodriguez, thanks Julian for making one of my dreams possible!
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
when I was younger , I used to listen : rock , reggae , hip hop , metal, etc , and in a way I did not like electronic music to which I had access ( was the commercial electronic music of the moment), this was partly because my circle of friends either heard electronic music until Sebastian and Santiago introduced me to a new world of beats. another thing that could tell is that I never studied anything related to music production , everything I learned it comes from the internet (blogs , videos , tutorials, etc ) but today the advice and criticism of my friends is the more important thing, to improve my quality and creativity of each new track.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
There´s a lot out there, unfortunately not everyone has the promotion they deserve. Ezequiel Arias, Julian Rodriguez, Emanuel Begnis, Guido Elordi, Rodrigo-k, Luciano Scheffer, German Angeleri, Mariano Montori, Sergey Gebio, Francisco Lehman, Manu F, Jeremias Ferreyra, Transi2 and many more that unfortunately I do not know(yet)!!
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
I don’t have a favorite, but the guys I named in question 6, they inspire me and help me to be a better producer!! Ty Guys for trust in my “Madness “
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Any track from Guy J or Hernan Cattaneo & Soundexile. I will love be remixed by: Cattaneo, Digweed, Guy J, Warren, etc, etc. Honestly, any producer who want to remix one of my tracks, sounds great for me!
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Anyone who give an opportunity to new talents, like they do with me.
Green Snake Records, MCR, Massive Harmony Records, F+F Records, the guys of Beat Control Records, Balkan Connection, Stellar Fountain Records and many others.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
I Have 2 in my top: Renaissance the masters series part 13 Hernan Cattaneo and Global Underground 13 Sasha (Coincidentally, these 2 are the number 13,lol)
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Drink: Water /Vodka Tonic
TV Show: The Walking Dead
Movie: The Machinist with Christian Bale.
Video Game: Diablo 2 or any First Personal Shooter.
Album: The Dark Side of The Moon/Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Song: “The End” by The Doors
Band: Pink Floyd
Record Label: Any who release good music 😉
DJ: Hernan Cattaneo
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
I’m not a dj but occasionally i practice with live , just for fun, and the closing track of my set is Julian Dep – Labyrinth (Julian Rodriguez Remix) i love this track, its an awesome work, for me the best choice to close a really groovie set!
Julian Rodriguez and Martin Berger ‘Mythos’ is out now on Stellar Fountain, you can purchase the release: here