The 127th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Fractal Architect.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
I remember hearing Are Friends Electric ? by Tubeway Army when i was about six years old, and thinking ‘wow! One day I want to make sounds like that…….’
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
My first DJ gig was in a little back street club in Weston Super Mare called ‘Sumo’s’ The manager used to get pissed with us cos’ we’d always blow at least one of the cones in the bass bins. We had lots of guest DJ’s there through the early 90’s. Carl Cox, Gayle San, Colin Faver and local lads Nick Warren and Jodi Wisternoff in the days before Way out West. My last DJ gig was a reunion bash with a load of the free party heads I used to mix with.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
The first record I bought was ‘ The Model ‘ by Kraftwerk. The last record I bought was The ‘Rainbow Shore EP’ by Xspance and Joey Fehrenbach
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
\After a long time away from production, signing music to Paul Hazendonk’s Manual Music was a major highlight.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
I am actually a qualified Landscape Architect (hence the name)
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Really hard question. By ‘undiscovered’, I mean an artist who is already quite well known , but I believe should be known better. Strange Emotional Sounds. Chems is producing some seriously groundbreaking music IMO.
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Such a tricky question.. There are so many talented producers. Guy J consistently raises the bar, Ryan Davis is pretty awesome, and Olaf Stuut is right up there also.. the list goes on!
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
I guess I’d like to have a crack at remixing Café del Mar before I die! And It would be a great honour for me if Nick Warren could remix one of my productions.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days, which ones if any standout for you?
Traum Schallplatten, Sudbeats, Manual Music, Lost and Found, microCastle
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
James Holden – At the Controls
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
Food: Rye Sourdough Bread with real butter and homemade jam.
Drink: Fresh Coffee
Animal(s): my cats, Leo, Ollie and Penny
TV Show: Spongebob Squarepants (I have young kids ok……)
Movie: The Worlds End (Nick Frost and Simon Pegg)
Video Game: (Still) Super Mario Galaxy
Album: Tilt – Resonator. Islands – Ludovico Einaudi
Track / Song: Guy J – Lonely Colour
Producer / band: Ulrich Schnauss
Record Label: Traum Schallplatten
Nightclub: Club UK – London (circa 1995)
DJ: Nick Warren
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
The sound of silence.. Either the original or Henry Saiz’s remix depending on the crowd!
‘Still Time…’ is out now on MNL, you can purchase the release: here