The 199th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer duo RezQ Sound.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
Hi! I’ll start with the fact that we have two people in the project. Anton Shtanko 26 years and Anton Beresnev 24 years old. We are from Ukraine and travel on it. Born in Donetsk, now living in Dnepropetrovsk. Our project was born on October 27, 2010. It will soon be five years. At the moment we opened our label Matryoshka Digital and write only on our label. 🙂
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
We wrote a remix in contest and took second place – then it all started. Of course we wanted to be equal and still be equal to favorite artists is Boris Brejcha, Stephan Bodzin, Röyksopp etc.
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
We all learned completely from scratch. We needed to do it this way! While he will not understand – you always need the help. Tip: Do not hurry to share tracks. Work on each element and mix styles.
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
When it is difficult to gather your thoughts and to sit in studio. Red wine kills the block in art. 🙂
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
In the studio we are only on weekends. And it’s very, very little time. We want to devote more time to the music and performances. 🙁
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effort on your own productions?
Yeah, listen. It is like a rock band. The Killers, Three Days Grace, Skillet and etc.
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
Cassette with a selection of techno tracks in ’96. Well, and now a couple of hundred tracks from beatport.
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
We would like to present our music in every city on this planet 🙂
9. Which producers in your opinion get consistently overlooked?
Unfortunately we are not have a time to watch other people’s creativity.
10. Which producers consistently inspire you? And where else does your inspiration come from?
Inspiration comes not in the most awaited moment. The most important, “to bring” it to the studio 🙂
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
If you want to quickly show yourself- do like all. If you want to be a unit of the universe – Stay true to yourself.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
One that has not been written yet. 😉
segment collected by Benjaminas Bagdonas
‘Marsebo’ is out now on Balkan Connection, you can purchase the release: here