The 268th episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Óscar Vázquez.
1. How old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing and Djing?
I’m 38 years old and started playing when I was 18 and production when I was 26 years old.
2. Where do your musical roots lie, what are your first memories of electronic music and when did you know you wanted to pursue it seriously? Are there any particular productions or artists from the past that really made you think to yourself ‘this is what I want to do.”
My passion for electronic music began when I heard the Eurodance early 90s. I thought I wanted to seriously when I started producing my own music, so far it was a hobby. I’ve never wanted to create a sound like another artist. hehehe
3. How difficult was learning to produce for you in the beginning? Did you take any Audio Engineering programs or production courses to help you out or are you pretty much self taught? And did anyone give any advice early on that really helped?
At first it was difficult because I had never had contact with any machine or production tool. I learned self-taught, except for some tutorials on the internet, although this more recently to develop mixing and mastering.
4. What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult and what comes easiest for you? When you do hit a creative block what helps you through it?
The hardest part is deciding when a track is finished. in my tracks I usually put my mood, I do not usually have other inspirations.
5. What’s a normal day like for you? Do you have a job outside of electronic music? And what do you like to do when you’re not working on music?
Yes I have other work from Monday to Friday and i like to biking on the weekend.
6. Apart from electronic music what other genres do you listen to and who are your favourite artists outside of electronic? and do these genres or artists have a direct effect on your own productions?
I don’t listen other music style outside of electronic music.
7. What was the first and last physical (CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc) piece of music you bought?
My first bought maybe was a cassette “Maquina Total 3” and the last any Techno vinyl.
8. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Difficult to answer hehehehe …. At some point I thought about leaving everything related to music.
9. Which producers in your opinion get consistently overlooked?
There are many artists, without going outside of Spain there are many who have great talent and are not considered.
10. Which producers consistently inspire you? And where else does your inspiration come from?
I am inspired by many producers, any artist who conveys feeling with his music, is a source of inspiraccion for me.
11. There are countless producers out there trying to find their way and create their own unique sound, what advice do you have for them?
Patience and perseverance, never give up because you never know when it might be your day of recognition.
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
It would probably be a song with much feeling, full of melodies that can lead to shedding a tear. .
‘Midnight Trip’ is out now on Golden Wings Music as part of their Unique Series II collection, you can purchase the release: here