The 67nd episode of our 12 Questions segment features producer Monojoke.
1. If you had to pick one track which solidified your love for electronic music early on what would it be?
Hard choice, but one of the first tracks that I heard in progressive house style was Strange World by Greed. Lovely track.
2. What was your first and last DJ gig?
Don’t play gigs unfortunately, play sometimes in my bedroom:) I’m just music producer.
3. What was the first and last record you purchased?
My first purchased record was Fusion album by Sven Vath, it was something about 15 years ago and it was on audio cassette. Great music and great times 🙂 The last was also track from the past, Medway – Trauma to recall the classic.
4. What would you say is the highlight of your career thus far?
I’m just hobbyist and unfortunately don’t have much time to make music so every single release is a success and highlight for me.
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Not everyone may know but I work as an electrical engineer for the polish national railways. It is a very responsible job but I really like it.
6. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Actually we’ve got a lot of great young talents. The sad thing is that most of them are better than me:)
7. Which producers consistently inspire you?
I will not be very original but I love everything what Guy J is doing actually. Also appreciate artists like Guy Mantzur, Khen, Simon Vuarambon, King Unique, Dosem, Mike Griego, Kassey Voorn and many others. From old time heroes definitely James Holden.
8. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
It could be great to remix Guy J track and be remixed by him.
9. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Yes it’s true but still are few labels that try to keep the highest level like Soma, Outpost, Suara, Traum, microCastle, Sudbeat, Tronic etc.
10. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Hard to pick one, i’m old school proghouse lover so maybe older GU mixes like Shanghai by Nick Warren, Nubreed by Sander Kleinenberg and many more from that time.
11. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
TV Show: Cosmos on National Geographic
Movie: All good Sci-fi movies
Video Game: Final Fantasy series
Album: Fear Of A Silver Planet
Track / Song: Knight keys – Never felt this way (Behrouz & Andy Caldwell Toronto mix)
Producer / Band: James Holden
Record Label: Sog, Silver Planet, Release Records, Boz Boz, Hope, Hooj Choons . . . the olders 🙂
Nightclub: Prozak 2.0
DJ: Guy J, Sasha, Nick Warren, Maceo Plex
12. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
I mentioned his name a few times but I have to do it again: James Holden – Nothing, very energetic track with some beatiful synths at the end. Fell in love with this song many years ago and still feel the same.
Monojoke’s remix of Daraspa ‘Childhood’ is out now on 3rd Avenue, you can purchase the release: here