For our featured interview this week we catch up with techno producer Indieveed. The Ukrainian native is one of his country’s finest melodic electronica exports and has appeared on many prestigious labels including Traum and Klangwelt. He’s also part of the Ideological Records team with Makson and Mondkrater, together the trio has built one of the freshest sounding imprints to come about in the last year. Indieveed’s got a new remix out of Rich Curtis ‘Freeloader’ on Change Audio and we had a chance to chat with him just following the release. A transcription of the interview is below and we hope you enjoy it.
1. Hi Alex! thanks very much for joining us here, let’s start with some background info first. How old are you and how long have you been producing?
Indieveed: Hello everyone, I am 24 years is hard to say when I first produce something but I think it was about 5 years ago, though it was hard to call music 🙂 but gradually began to turn out as I felt better and better, I think if you take a serious work as a producer is somewhere 3 years.
2. How did you discover electronic music? Where do your musical roots lie?
Indieveed: Love for electronic music instilled in me by my father at an early age began to soak up the creativity “Depeche Mode” and others great musicians. from an early age I was drawn to music and everything related to the fact that her favorite other artists I’ve always wanted to do something I think is his, and was the starting point for me.
3. Have you lived in the Ukraine your whole life? What is the club and party scene like there, are their places you can go to hear good electronic music?
Indieveed: Yes, I live in Ukraine all my life is my homeland, I’m proud of it, but unfortunately we have very few places where the parties interested to take place mainly in the capital can go to clubs such as “Boom Boom Room” or else “Forsage”.
4. Your tracks always sound impeccably produced, did you study production or sound design at some point and if not did anyone help you out along the way?
Indieveed: Basically, I learned all this myself this long nights experimentation and discovery for myself something new it has always been my principles.
5. How has your studio setup changed since you started producing?
Indieveed: When I started I had an old computer and now I have a good sound system controllers couple good studio headphones well, of course the experience that has accumulated over the years 🙂
6. Talk a bit about your role in Ideological Records, it’s a label run by yourself Makson and Mondkrater. Do you all have specific duties when it comes to the label or is it just a collective effort in all areas?
Indieveed: All three of us are the owners of our label we as a family do all agree with each other of course we each have responsibilities but only together we are Ideological Records.
7. How did you guys come together to form Ideological Records?
Indieveed: We share common views on music and what it should be, with Mondkrater I had known there was a project when Mode B, I learned a lot from this guy, we met with Makson couple of years ago and became very good friends outside of music in one day we thought why do not we proof create our label it all started.
8. Where do you see Ideological going in the futures in terms of sound and also growing the brand so to speak. Might we see some label events in the future?
Indieveed: I think we have a great future and we are committed to this, I think in the near future we will start our label parties from all this goes.
9. How do you guys go about finding music for the label? Is a lot of it through demo submissions and if so what percentage of what you get sent would you say is suitable for the label?
Indieveed: We of course like all the labels accept demos but often we do we seek unique artists invite them out to us that our policies have unique music and sound melodic course must necessarily be present.
10. Do things always come easy for you in the studio? What parts of the production process do you find the most difficult? and what gets you through a period of writers block or lack of inspiration?
Indieveed: I will say this that happens in different ways all depends on the mood I hesitate to say that I was given more difficult as all this for me is a whole word creativity, but most of all from my point of view I am inspired by love for the girls because it is the most beautiful thing that is on our planet, because when a man loves, he is ready to perform miracles, and it probably happens to me over and over again 🙂
11. What are you currently working on in the studio? Anything you can tell us about?
Indieveed: I am currently finishing work on some original tracks difficult to say when and where they will be released but I really want to try to return to this year on Traum.
12. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise people?
Indieveed: In the near future I plan to seriously address the creation of the album and try to surprise ace completely new from Indieveed 🙂
13. Who are some of the best undiscovered talents in your eyes?
Indieveed: For me very promising and undiscovered talent “Woodblock” is a new name in electronic music but soon you will hear about it..;)
14. Which producers consistently inspire you?
Indieveed: I am always inspired by the guys from Extrawelt am also a big fan of Stephan Bodzin I like most producers but these are probably more likely!
15. What artist or track would you love to remix? and who would you love to be remixed by?
Indieveed: I would like to do a remix of “Dark Side Of My Room” which produce by Extrawelt big tune 🙂 it would be nice if my track remixed Ryan Davis 🙂
16. Record labels are a dime a dozen these days and the majority of people feel most of them are mediocre music factories. Which ones if any standout for you?
Indieveed: Traum, Cocoon, Kompakt, Ideal Audio, Herzblut
17. What would you say is the best mix compilation of all time?
Indieveed: Cocoon 100
18. Current Favourites (you can list more than one per category if you like)
TV Show: Comedy Club
Movie: Berlin Calling
Video Game: nba 2k14
Album: ‘Schone Neue’ Extrawelt
Track / Song: Dark Side Of My Room
Producer / Band: Extrawelt
Record Label: Traum
Nightclub: Boom boom room
DJ: Richie Hawtin
19. If the final DJ/live set of your career was next week what would your last track be?
Indieveed: I think it would be something from my work possible “Mikrowelten”:)
You can checkout Indieveed’s Beatport catalog: here