With releases on Pablo Bolivar’s Seven Villas and Magician On Duty, Jose Vizcaino has firmly established himself in the Deep House underground. We catch up with him on the cusp of his ‘The Monsters Are back’ EP.
1. Hey Jose, thanks for joining us today, tell us a bit about yourself, how old are you, where are you living and how long have you been producing music and DJing?
My name is Jose Vizcaino I’m 30 years old, I’m originally from Guatemala, I have been living in the bay area for 7 years. been producing and djing for 11 years.
2. How did you discover electronic music and what led you down the path of wanting to be a DJ and producer? What were some of your early inspirations?
I discovered the underground electronic music through a friend, he was a dj at that time and I used to go to his parties a lot. I started listening to electronic music especially progressive and tribal house and fell in love with it. the djs I looked up at that time were: Lee Burridge, Satoshi Tomiie, Danny Tenaglia, John Digweed to name a few. I became very curious about the production process of the tracks, soon my friend gave me a cracked copy of fruity loops so I started making beats and never looked back..
3. Tell us a bit about the San Francisco scene. Deep, melodic house seems to be flourishing there at the moment, how is the night life? and do you get a chance to play much in your home city?
I love the nightlife here in San Francisco, the clubs are amazing, full of great vibe. There’s electronic music for all the tastes, ranging from classic house to elaborated melodic deep-tech and techno. melodic deep house is certainly very big now. there’s probably like 20 or more electronic music clubs in the city. i love that the sound system from most of them are impressive, in SanFran you’re always going to come across talented and interesting people in your night out.
4. You have a new EP out this week on Magician On Duty. The four tracks work really well together as a cohesive collection. Tell us how they came together creatively and how they ended up on the label?
The EP coming across cohesive was certainly an accident, whenever I start making a track I have an idea of what’s the sound and style I want to reach but that’s it, the creative process of adding all the elements is part by accident, it happens very natural, the type of sound and mood of the elements i add depends on how I feel at the moment.
I didn’t do the tracks in order, I did others in between but the similar style of the 4 tracks was what brought them together so I can say that those tracks where meant to be in this ep.
5. You’ve worked with Pablo Bolivar’s Seven Villas imprint several times in the past. It’s a label I personally love and it seems you’ve found a home there. What is it that’s so great about working with them?
Since I started producing I’ve always loved Pablo Bolivar music, is so smooth and deep, I discovered his music through the remix that Andy Sttot did of his track “into the televerse” it is an amazing piece and one of my favorite tracks ever. so from there I started to listening more of his music. It’s awesome to be working with him, I’m very happy that my music found its way to seven villas, it’s great to work with a talented people.
6. You’re bio states ‘Music should be used to make serious statements’. What would you like your music to convey to the listener?
I just want to deliver something very honest an original, I never try to imitate a certain style or track, I just try to express myself as much as I can through music.
7. Who was the first big Dj to support your music and how important was that moment in terms of inspiration as well as being validated as an artist?
Pablo Bolivar without a doubt is the biggest dj/producer that has supported my music, I remember that a dj called Dactilar sent me a message on soundcloud and told me he was a fan of my music and mentioned that Pablo Bolivar was playing some of my tracks and I should send a demo to him, I felt so great to hear that and soon I sent him some demos. it definitely made me realize that I was on the right path.
8. What kind of stuff have you been playing in your DJ sets recently? Who are some of your go to artists?
I have been loving deep minimal stuff.. Varhat, Worker Union, Jerome.c, IO (mulen), Nick Beringer to name a few.
9. What release or achievement are you most proud of and why?
I’m very happy of all that I have accomplished so far. All the releases that I have done have been very important to me, I feel that this is just the beginning, so expect more music!
10. What five tracks are you currently loving the most at the moment?
Pavel Iudin – Groundlevel
Paradiso Rhythm – Greetings & Salutations
Fulvio Ruffert – T03
Dejev & Nanda – Positive Thoughts
Jose has new music out now on Magician On Duty, you can purchase the release: here